1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Can you recommend the best postgresql book?

im looking for the best postgresql book to help me with some fundamentals. The user guide is fantastic so i would like the book to cover some different topics.

Do you have any recommendations?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by nickjtew
    im looking for the best postgresql book to help me with some fundamentals. The user guide is fantastic so i would like the book to cover some different topics.

Practical Postgresql - O'Reilly

eh... I've used this sometimes for JDBC stuff and some other topics... the manual and this together is about all you need.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Personally, I wasn't that impressed with "Practical PostgreSQL". "PostgreSQL Developer's Handbook " is a much better buy, especially for serious developers. But the problem with both of these is that they are rather dated, as PostgreSQL has added several important feature sets since these books were published. (Schema and Domain support are the biggest, but there are also changes in things like set-returning functions, and a host of other small improvements.) Also, these books tend to be rather light on explanation of the serious logical capabilities of a system like PostgreSQL.

"PostgreSQL", by SAMs press (authors Douglas & Douglas) is a much more recent book, that seems to cover many of the newer features, but even it is not completely up-to-date. (By the way, don't confuse this with the "PostgreSQL" book by Jeff Perkins, which was published in 2001.). I haven't read this book, so I can't provide a full recommendation yet.

So really, the ultimate book on PostgreSQL has not yet been written. Fortunately, PostgreSQL follows the ANSI SQL standard quite well, so any serious book on ANSI SQL would be helpful. Other than that, be prepared to spend some serious time at http://techdocs.postgresql.org/ and http://www.postgresql.org/docs/ , and you would benefit very greatly by signing up for one or more of the mail lists at http://archives.postgresql.org/
    The real n-tier system:

FreeBSD -> PostgreSQL -> [any_language] -> Apache -> Mozilla/XUL

Amazon wishlist -- rycamor (at) gmail.com
  7. Me likey breadsticks...
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Well if you're looking for just DB fundamentals I'd recommend An Introduction to Database Systems by CJ Date if you're serious about RDBMS fundamentals (was recommended to me by rycamor a while back). If you're just into learning SQL and getting more out of your SQL queries, try taking a look at SQL for Smarties.

Neither is Postgres specific, but both are very useful depending on what you want to learn. I agree that no book currently out does pg justice since the dev team is doing such a great job of adding features and improving performance. You might do better just joining the pg SQL mailing list, it's free and you'll learn quite a bit. Plus a book won't respond to your specific questions via email.
    PostgreSQL, it's what's for dinner...
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by nickjtew

I would say the ultimate book has been written:
    PostgresSQL: Introduction and Concepts by Bruce Momjian ( also available on Amazon if your so inclined )

This is the only book I've used since I started developing on Postgres, and I still refer to it today. It is a complete reference by a member of the PostgresSQL development team ...he also does postgres 'bootcamp' if you (or your boss) has the cash, see: http://www.bignerdranch.com/

I suppose since this book is more of a reference, it assumes some prior knowledge of databases/SQL query syntax, but IMO it is perfect for the beginner postgres user who just wants to know "How do I ...?" --it also has some more advanced info on topics such as performance and native functions..

Best of luck with your postgres adventures!

-non
  11. No Profile Picture

Thanks everyone, theres some great advice there. I think for now i will scout around some of the sites that were listed, and grab the ANSI SQL book.

Cheers
  13. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Good note, nonlucent. I hadn't realized that Bruce Momjian has updated his book for the new features (available online ).

(And, I've been hoping to go to Big Nerd Ranch for a couple years now. Maybe this year the boss will spring for it )
    The real n-tier system:

FreeBSD -> PostgreSQL -> [any_language] -> Apache -> Mozilla/XUL

Amazon wishlist -- rycamor (at) gmail.com
  15. No Profile Picture

Ok. This is an older thread, but there are now a couple of good new Postgresql books, e.g.

PostgreSQL 9.0 High Performance tinyurl.com/7wj4e88
  17. No Profile Picture

Another book I would recommend is Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL: From Novice to Professional

best-gear.org/beginning-databases-with-postgresql-from-novice-to-professional/

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo