1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Which replication - going from 8.4/slony to 9.1

I'm building 2 new debian Wheezy servers which run postgres 9.1.

Previously we used 8.4 and Slony.

One server is the main server (web server as well), the other is a backup on another site.

Both servers have their own separate data feeds, but some data (e.g. user data) is replicated from main to backup. In the event of a problem with the main server, users can use the backup (but with no write access to the replicated tables). A pretty normal setup I'd guess.

So, given that I find slony a bit of a black art , should I be using the the built in replication now available, or wil slony suit my setup better?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I'm not sure I understand "Both servers have their own separate data feeds". What does that mean? Is there anything doing inserts and updates directly to the secondary server, or is everything from server A replicated to B?

Built-in streaming replication in 9.1 is very easy to set up and manage, but it's an all-or-nothing deal. You can't just choose to replicate some parts of the database, as with Slony.

If you want fast, complete single-master replication with minimal difficulty and minimal downtime, choose built-in streaming. If you need partial replication or if you have additional logic to be handled in replication, then you will have to use Slony, Londiste, or one of the other trigger-based replication systems.
    The real n-tier system:

FreeBSD -> PostgreSQL -> [any_language] -> Apache -> Mozilla/XUL

Amazon wishlist -- rycamor (at) gmail.com
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

> Is there anything doing inserts and updates directly to the secondary server,

Yes, on some tables. Looks like it's slony then, cheers.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo