Thread: Text Datatype

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I am currently developing a site using PHP/Posgresql and I am having trouble with a field. We have a type of message board where people will be inputting text. In some cases this text will be very large. I started out using Varchar(255) but switched it to text when I realized the problem, but I am still getting an error on really long submissions. The error is:

Warning: PostgresSQL query failed: ERROR: Tuple is too big: size 8880, max size 8140.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Postgres at present still has an 8K limit on text row size, unless you recompile, where you can set the tuple size to 32K. They claim its the very next thing they are working on, though.

If you want to have lots of text in a column, though, you can use BLOBs. As i understand it there are some performance and funcionality drawbacks, but you will be able to have a MUCH greater column size.

5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How do I use a Blob? Is that just a datatype?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rycamor:
    Postgres at present still has an 8K limit on text row size, unless you recompile, where you can set the tuple size to 32K. They claim its the very next thing they are working on, though.

If you want to have lots of text in a column, though, you can use BLOBs. As i understand it there are some performance and funcionality drawbacks, but you will be able to have a MUCH greater column size.

[/quote]

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo