1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi,

I'm writing a form processing app in php/postgres and i wanted to implement a check on the post->db write functions in my code to prevent users double clicking on the submit button and causing repeated entries in the db.

What I'm thinking is that when I issue a write to the db, I'll do a quick select to check if there already exists a record for this user and that record's date is exactly equal to (give or take a second) now, then not write it again.

BTW if anyone else get's this, and knows of a more robust method to combat against this sort of thing, I love to know.

Away, subtracting 1 from now() returns the date 1 day out. Bit too much. Subtracting a fraction from now() returns the date without the time. Now I've looked thru the date functions in postgresqls manual, but I could really do with seeing worked example (which the manual tends to be rather short on).

The date field in my table is of type timestamp, and to recap I want to programatically take one second off this value - preferabily in the sql statement, such that :

(simplified sql for illustation)

select * from table where now()-date <= 1

as in 1 second

3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Figured it out around ten minutes later :

select * from bla where id = '$id' and (now() - interval(reltime '1 second') <= date)

however this doesn't work on the old 'double click submit and end up with many sql inserts' for some reason, so I'm back to the drawing board

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo