1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I can log in to psql, having granted myself superuser privileges, but pgaccess doesn't recognize me as a valid user. I'm confused about this. With mysql, I gave a username, and password, which I could use for things like perl DBI,and PHP scripts, but Postgresql didn't prompt me for a password. Instead it just used my login in linux to let me in. This is fine until I need to actually tie postgresql into a web page.

The hostname of my computer is frogman, and postgres seems to be looking for localhost, but if I put in frogman with pgaccess, it gives me an error asking if the postmaster is running (with -i) at 'localhost' and accepting connections on TCP/IP port '5432'? Any help with this is appreciated. Thank you.

Bob
  3. No Profile Picture

Wink

re: '-i' message:
    this is the generic message indicating that Postgres is listening only for connections to localhost. If you need it to listen for connections using any other machine name you have to start the Postmaster with something like:

postmaster -i mydomain.notyours.com -D /path/to/the/data

Note the capital D and lowercase i...

With regard to passwords you should look for the file named pg_hba.conf in the data folder; Postgres does things a bit different and it can be somewhat confusing. It's worth the effort, though.

Finally - there are some really good documents on the Postgres homesite, I think you can find most of your answers there to questions like these. And, there is at least one book available on Postgres that are pretty well written.

Good luck!!
  5. No Profile Picture

Question

Could you pass along the name of that PostgreSQL book?
  7. No Profile Picture

PostgreSQL Bookk title

The book I bought is:

'PostgreSQL - Introductions and concepts' by Bruce Momjian
    ISBN 0-201-70331-9

Good luck!

Tom

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo