1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Database Dilemma

I am having a bit of a database dilemma. I am creating a database that requires the use of inheritance. I would have loved to do this in MySQL since it I have it running on my NT box at work and on Linux through my hosting provider. But unfortunately, as far as I know, MySQL doesn't support this feature. I can't understand why not since this is a fundamental feature of Object-Oriented programming.

Anyway, I tried to install PostgreSQL on my NT box, but not with much luck. I tried installing it on my hosted linux box, but I couldn't do that either. Are there any good hosting providers that offer PostgreSQL? I am looking for something cheap and reliable. Or is there anyone who has installed PostgreSQL on windows that would be willing to share their expertise with me?
  3. No Profile Picture

cygwin

I've installed cygwin (http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/) with PostgreSQL in a Windows NT 4 and it is working fine.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

A link that will show you, step by step, how to compile PostgreSQL on Win 2000using Cygwin.

http://people.freebsd.org/~kevlo/postgres/portNT.html
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks!

Thanks...I have Cygwin installed, the cygipc daemon, and PostgreSQL. Now I just have to learn to use it!

I'm also trying to tackle an Oracle install too for a class I'm taking.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo