1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

restoring dump from 7.2 to 7.3

Hi all. We're about to upgrade from PostgreSQL 7.2 to 7.3, and I'm just wondering if there's any pitfalls anyone can advise me to look out for in dumping and restoring my database.

To dump I'm going to use this:

pg_dump -d cms > cms.dump

and to restore, once the database has been created in 7.3,

psql -d cms -f cms.dump

I gave this a whirl within 7.2 tonight, dumping it and restoring it to another database, and when connecting to the new database in all my applications, everything worked fine.

Can anyone give me any advice regarding if there is anything I should look out for in making the move from 7.2 to 7.3?

Thanks,
    Pablo
  3. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

AFAIK almost everything in 7.3 still supports 7.2-version abilities, so you should be fine. The required return type for stored procedures as triggers is different now: TRIGGER, instead of OPAQUE, but I think PostgreSQL 7.3 will be backwards-compatible with this for awhile.

Other than that, every ability in 7.3 is either an expanded version of what was in 7.2, or is an additional features, such as schemas and domains.
    The real n-tier system:

FreeBSD -> PostgreSQL -> [any_language] -> Apache -> Mozilla/XUL

Amazon wishlist -- rycamor (at) gmail.com
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks Rycamor. Your info is greatly appreciated. I haven't explicitly set any triggers in the database, so I should be fine. The purpose of the upgrade is to enable schema support, so I'm quite looking forward to it.

Not to mention the additional functionality in the alter table commands. MUCH nicer in 7.3 than 7.2.

Cheers,
    Pablo

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo