1. Me likey breadsticks...
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Interesting Postgres News...

Working, tested, scalable replication for Postgres - This was probably one of the only biggie features that postgres lacked which mysql had. Sure there was stuff from contrib, and the commercial eRServer , but now eRServer is free.

My guess is Postgres Inc (the commercial support entity, not to be confused with the postgres developers that create Postgres) is donating eRserver because they realize they'll probably make more money selling support for the free eRServer than selling eRServer itself. Either way it's good news for pg users.

Also, for those interested in plphp, beta 2 has been released.

-b
    PostgreSQL, it's what's for dinner...
  3. No Profile Picture
    Apprentice Deity
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Niagara Falls (On the wrong side of the gorge)
    This had been planned from the beginning, IIRC. A free, dependable replication method is the most important piece, IMNSHO, that has been missing from Postgres.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

There are several other replication projects for PostgreSQL, of varying complexity, but the one that interests me most is PGReplication, which is an offshoot of the original Postgres-R project. PGReplication is much more technically advanced than ERServer, and in fact is one of the few replication systems in the whole database world to implement "eager" replication. See here for a short technical description (All I can say is... cool ). When this is production-quality, PostgreSQL will be sitting in better place than most (if not all) of the commercial systems out there.

re: rodk... I don't know if I would consider it the biggest missing piece. I still think PITR and nested transactions (savepoints,exceptions, whatever you want to call them) are in just as critical in enterprise systems.
    The real n-tier system:

FreeBSD -> PostgreSQL -> [any_language] -> Apache -> Mozilla/XUL

Amazon wishlist -- rycamor (at) gmail.com
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

good news!!

it's a shame how many misinformed people there are in the industry w/ rel to postgres features and oracle features... how many of these people actually read all of the postgres manual? I know I did, and boy am I glad I did. Postgres ROCKS!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Apprentice Deity
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Niagara Falls (On the wrong side of the gorge)
    rycamor,

I'll take a look at Postgres-R, however I heard it wasn't yet stable... I know it's best to check things out myself rather than rely on hearsay, but often time does not permit.

PITR IS essential to mission critical enterprise systems and nested transactions are important as well (but so far I've learned to work around that), however, for non-mission critical, heavy load applications (an area I'm currently immersed in & where I have total control over access) replication is much more important to me than either PITR or nested transactions. I even toyed with the idea of using MySQL for a couple of projects due to lack of funds and need for replication, but decided to hold out.

In summary, what is essential comes down to the need of your application.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

have anyone tried erserver first hand

Hi, when I've heard the new about erserver I tried it right away but I had a few problems with installation. Does anyone know of other documentation of how to install and maintain erserver besides the one included with the software?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo