1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

[SOLVED] Postgres Not starting

Hi,

I'm running version 8.4 on Ubuntu 10.0.4LTS and the database will not start and refers me to the log file. I checked the log file /var/log/postgresql/postgresql-8.4-main.log but it is 0 bytes. I could not find any other logs with data in them. There are rotated logs with that filename .1 .2 and so on and those have data in them. It just seems that the main one does not. I can't seem to get any debug information to determine why the db server is not starting.

This db server is installed as part of the Desknow group email and collaboration system so some of the config may be non-standard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rich
    Last edited by rwebb616; April 19th, 2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Add Solved indicator
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Nevermind - got it fixed. For any others that may have this issue, I ran the db manually using:

postgres --config_file=/etc/postgres/8.4/postgresql.conf and it then told me that there was insufficient space to write the postmaster.pid file.

I had checked the disk space but misunderstood what I was seeing. The root partition was completely full - I deleted a 9gb file and oddly enough the db server started right up and worked.

Rich

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo