1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Out of diskspace

Hullo,

Start laughing. All of you. Yes, you in the back, too!

I'm a noobie when it comes to Postgres and Redhat. I've had some *IX experience in the past, but that's been so dusty I daren't touch it, in case new life developed in there.

ANYWAY! Here I was, being cool and filling my test database with pgbench. Being the 'living on the edge' type of person that I am, I figured my laptop would handle 10 million rows just fine.

So the little counter thingy started going up. The log actually got flushed inbetween. More and more. GO BABY GO!

And then... error this, error that, no space left on device. Right. I use the Windows approach. I shut down the system and rebooted. But noooo. Now my Postgres process won't even start. And, what's worse, I have no clue whether or not it's safe to delete anything. Screw the database. I don't mind recreating it. But how do I toss out just the database without harming anything else? And will postgres start KNOWING there ought to be another database, but it just can't find it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks.

Peter
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

did you install postgres via an RPM or the source?

you can just use the dropdb command from the prompt and get rid of that big 'un . That may only work if postmaster was allowed to start. If postmaster is unable to be started, what is the exact error that it generates? If you are using an old enough version then you can go into the data file system and delete the folder that's called whatever the database name is (DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA).
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your quick reply.

I do believe it was the RPM. The guys at my company installed it for me.

It's version 7.3.2, so alas. I tried looking for the files, but have no clue where to look really...

As for postmaster?

If I do a su -l postgres, that works fine. When I try giving a pg_ctl start, I get the following error:

FATAL: Can't write lock file /var/lib/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid: nNo space left on device
    Help *whimpers*

Thanks

Peter
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

this is the most help that I could find quickly for you

try looking around in the system around your PGDATA area and see if you canf igure out how the data is stored by the backend, you could try to just delete stuff in there, but you WILL have data loss. This is quite a problem, sorry that there isn't a clear way to take care of it.
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks

I just managed to solve it, with some help from a techguy I know.

I fdkisked, create a new partition, mounted it, moved the data folder to it, unmounted and remounted it as the data folder.

Problem solved

Thanks again.

Peter

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo