1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Postgresql and Microsoft Access Problem

Hello thank you for taking the time to view the problem I'm having!

I work in a shipping/receiving warehouse environment. All day long employees enter items into a postgre database using MS Access as a front end. Multiple users enter items at the same time, in turn those items are given a "stock id" (numerical value).

To be more specific these users are entering a set amount of data from a purchase. They look up a purchase order, confirm the items are there (which postgre displays in Access to them) and they print id's to label the items.

80% of the time the sequence of numbers is always in order. From time to time the numbers are generated out of sequence and the first person to enter data ends up with a higher number than the next person to enter data.

The goal we are trying to accomplish is the first user who opens up a field of data has the correct sequence of numbers 100% of the time.

Thanks in advance for any help!
  3. No Profile Picture

I don't believe you will find a solution if you are using Access's built-in forms as your front end. Access's strategy is to create a row as soon as you start working on a record, not when you finish working on the record.

A more robust solution would require programming, where the user edits variables and then clicks "Save" to commit them to the database. That's more work, but in my experience, the results are always better. (This requires a programmer, of course.)
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ljduchez
    I don't believe you will find a solution if you are using Access's built-in forms as your front end. Access's strategy is to create a row as soon as you start working on a record, not when you finish working on the record.

A more robust solution would require programming, where the user edits variables and then clicks "Save" to commit them to the database. That's more work, but in my experience, the results are always better. (This requires a programmer, of course.)

thanks for info. that piece of data is not assigned by access or at time of making a new row though. it is made 100% entirely in postgre after you hit mark as received. doing that basically triggers an event in postgre

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo