1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

urgent -- database hosed -- very strange redhat 7.3

We've been using this sytem for a while, it is a refurbished Dell that we're using as a server. It's running postgresql 7.2.4 that I installed from rpm's. We have some software that uses this database and I've been working on for quite some time. The software uses JDBC connections to get in, but this last time I went into the machine, postmaster had died ( I definitely did NOT kill -9 it but someone else may have ) ... I was able to do pg_ctl on it, but it was acting strange and asking me where the data folder was (does not usually do that)
    I asked the IT manager to restart the box, and after it was restarted the postmaster is running, but all the tables appear to be gone--

some terminal output:
    Code:
    RH73:s2/u2/jregan $ psql wpd_jregan
    psql: FATAL 1:  Database wpd_jregan does not exist in pg_database
    RH73:/s2/u2/jregan $ psql template1
    psql: FATAL 1:  SetUserId: user 'jregan' is not in 'pg_shadow'
    RH73:/s2/u2/jregan $ su -
    Password:
    [root@rh73 root]# su postgres
    bash: cd: .: Permission denied
    RH73:/root $ whoami
    postgres
    RH73:/root $ psql template1
    psql: ERROR:  MultiByte strings (MB) must be enabled to use this function
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

nevermind. First time we rebooted the machine in a while; the group and ownership permissions were the same as what they were with the original rpm's, and had not been changed since I installed the new rpm's. We were also clobbering our own intention of using TCP/IP connections = true in the postgresql.conf file

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo