Thread: embedding

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

embedding

Is there stable software that supports embedded PostGreSQL database access from .NET? I am looking for something that stays completely within managed .NET code and that is embedded (no daemon). For the foreseeable future I'm using Windows (as opposed to Mono http://www.go-mono.com/) so I need something that will work with .NET in NT.

Andrew
    Last edited by AAndrew; November 5th, 2003 at 07:45 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Have you checked out the npgsql project?
    The real n-tier system:

FreeBSD -> PostgreSQL -> [any_language] -> Apache -> Mozilla/XUL

Amazon wishlist -- rycamor (at) gmail.com
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hmm. The examples in the npgsql user manual seem to be connection-oriented, which suggests the existence of a daemon or something similar. Can npgsql be used in an embedded fashion as well? Also npgsql seems to be a bit newer and more untested than I'd like. Any other ideas?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Ahh (looking more closely at yhour first post). You are saying you want to embed a complete instance of the PostgreSQL DBMS inside your Windows .NET app, and not just the client. If that's what you want, you probably need to look elsewhere at this point. PostgreSQL is still mainly a Unix-centric database server (although there is progress on Windows versions). At present it can be run on Windows, either with the Unix-emulation Cygwin kit, or using one of the experimental Windows-native versions, but I doubt anyone has done any embedding of the actual DBMS, much less in .NET.

Anyway, the whole point of a DBMS like PostgreSQL is to be daemon outside of an application, providing application-independent business logic and constraints. Embedded DBMS engines are usually a different breed.

I think there has been some embedding work on the FireBird DBMS, which has both Linux and Windows versions, but I'm not too sure of that. There are quite a few smaller open-source embedded database kits, such as SQLite, Berkeley DB, Mimer SQL, and many more. Just do a search on Google for open source embedded SQL.
    The real n-tier system:

FreeBSD -> PostgreSQL -> [any_language] -> Apache -> Mozilla/XUL

Amazon wishlist -- rycamor (at) gmail.com
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

OK, thanks, that is very helpful.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo