1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question PostgreSQL / OLAP / Windows

I'm about to port a SQL Server database to postgreSQL but I have some questions first :

- How is PostgreSQL performing on a Windows platform ?
    - Is it possible to do some OLAP on postgreSQL ?
    - Or are there any tools that can do OLAP through ODBC ?
    - Are there free tools that can automatically import table/views and stored procedures from SQL Server to Windows native postgreSQL ?

Thanks in advance
  3. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Some infos:

- Not really well, there is limited support for windows
    - Not in the sense someone would expect after working with Analysis Services (but you can build a cube in AS with data coming from PostgreSQL)
    - I would take a look at Mondrian (on Sourceforge) which uses JDBC, for straight reporting look at my sig.
    - Partially, look at my sig for pgAdminIII (or version II), but you can export from SQLServer with DTS.

Hope this helps!!!
    Last edited by pabloj; November 15th, 2003 at 12:29 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally posted by pabloj
    Some infos:

- Not really well, there is limited support for windows
    - Not in the sense someone would expect after working with Analysis Services (but you can build a cube in AS with data coming from PostgreSQL)
    - I would take a look at Mondrian (on Sourceforge) which uses JDBC, for straight reporting look at my sig.
    - Partially, look at my sig for pgAdminIII (or version II), but you can export from SQLServer with DTS.

Hope this helps!!!
    It does help a lot, thanks.

I would like to know if you think it's a good idea to use postgreSQL on a windows platform for production purposes ?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally posted by zeux
    It does help a lot, thanks.

I would like to know if you think it's a good idea to use postgreSQL on a windows platform for production purposes ?
    It's a "better" idea to do it off of a unix-based computer.

From somewhere:

George Weaver wrote:

Hi,
    I am relatively new to PostrgeSQL. I'm considering using it to support a distributed application that potentially could be used on a Windows 9x system. What is meant by the terms "stable" and "unstable"? If PostgreSQL is not stable enough on 9x systems for production, would I be advised to explore other options for database support??

Understand, when we say stable, we mean relaible, dependable, and doesn't need to be rebooted for months or years. Windows, any version thus far, does not meet the minimum requirement of "stable," Windows 9x less so.

That being said, if Windows 98 is stable enough for your application, I would not say that PostgreSQL is any less stable than your environment.
    and some more stuff about cygwin:
    This post is about cygwins pthreads. people following this issue
    will know there have been some stability issues with cygwin's
    pthreads and since last week A LOT of them have been resolved.
    Yet as more of these problems are resolved more problems in the
    same area.

My issue is, I have compiled the dll from the snapshots (in debug mode),
    the dll I compiled is fine it does not crash the pthread test application
    I run, however when I re-compile the dll without debug on or if I use the
    pre-built snapshot dll cygwin1-20031028.dll.bz2 the pthread test
    application crashes (continually without fail!).
    Could you persuade your IT peeps to give you a machine (doesn't have to be that sweet) to host a unix version of the database?

You can still connect easily from a windows application through ODBC to postgresql, we are using both ODBC and JDBC and both work fine. I agree with the statements above about the overall stability of windows -- besides, then getting replication or something to combat your stability would be doubly confusing... I think you'd have to install other tricky stuff to get eRServer to work on Windows.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally posted by metaBarf
    It's a "better" idea to do it off of a unix-based computer.
    Could you persuade your IT peeps to give you a machine (doesn't have to be that sweet) to host a unix version of the database?

You can still connect easily from a windows application through ODBC to postgresql, we are using both ODBC and JDBC and both work fine. I agree with the statements above about the overall stability of windows -- besides, then getting replication or something to combat your stability would be doubly confusing... I think you'd have to install other tricky stuff to get eRServer to work on Windows.
    Well, I could probably get a Linux machine but the thing is our windows machine is much faster and we don't want to port our ASP application to a PHP application because it would be to much work for us.

I know that you can make ASP work on linux but I know too that it's not really complete and reliable, so we are stuck with windows.

And my boss really wants to use OLAP on the database so I think I'll look for another DBMS...

Thanks anyway for your help, I appreciate.
  11. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I would look at Firebird or SAPDB, they have good Windows support.
    If you need OLAP then stick to M$, Analysis Services have the best price/performance ratio on the market.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo