1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

accessing FAT16 disc on chip

3. Contributing User
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Re: accessing FAT16 disc on chip

Originally posted by magnetic
    FAT16 access
    I'm wanting to access a FAT16 disc on chip using C. Can anybody give me some pointers for reading and writing files, or any good URL's for info on FAT. Is there any source code that has already been written that i might include?

Thanks
    FAT16 is just the 16-bit File Allocation Table filesystem that was used by MS-DOS. I think that it's up to 32 bits now, but I stopped keeping track long ago.

Anyway, you are apparently doing an embedded C project that uses RAM disk or flash disk support. As such, I would think that your RTOS (real-time OS) would have to support that filesystem or be able to use the drivers/libraries that support that filesystem.

In other words, it should be transparent to your application. You should be able to traverse the directories and perform your file operations as you normally would. Just be sure of the required format of the file name string in the open or fopen function (ie, UNIX/Linux format with forward slash or DOS format with backslashes, which would then need to be doubled-up to work).

Does that address your question?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

thanks for answering

1/ The flash disc on chip was designed for use with a PC104 micro PC and so is set up with a FAT16 file system.

2/ The OS was written 'in-house' and all drivers and libraries were created here and runs on a 16bit micro

3/ I don't have a driver or library for the task and this is what i need to write here...hence asking on here 'cos I was wanting some direction.

4/ I don't believe in re-inventing the wheel so if something has already been written and is available out there then please point me the right direction.

again thanks but i need more specific info and i can't find what i need on m/soft developer or anywhere on the net
  7. Contributing User

Ouch!

Doesn't the "flash disc on chip" manufacturer or vendor have anything you could use? Maybe design notes or application notes or white papers? Or mention of projects their chip has been used in? Or mention of third-party suppliers of drivers? And if their site doesn't have anything, then talk with the sales rep; he has a vested interest in your success if he wants to sell more of these chips.

I don't know if this will help, but there's a book company that specializes in embedded design, Annabooks at http://www.annabooks.com/ . They might have something that would help.

Good luck. The info is out there and I sincerely hope you find it.
    Last edited by dwise1_aol; May 9th, 2003 at 10:00 AM.
  9. Contributing User

I've just come across the term "Flash Translation Layer" (FTL), which is used in reference to creating and using filesystems on flash memory devices.

This might help you find the resources you need.

Good luck.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo