1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Need some advice

Hey guys!!! Good day just curious about one thing, is it really necessary to know computer systems and its architecture before doing some programming????? Coz Im getting a bit confused whether to learn a programming language first or learn more about computers.....BTW I had some time programming in C and currently I'm a bit confused about some terms and technicalities with regards to programming.....THANKS for any friendly advice :)
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

and currently I'm a bit confused about some terms and technicalities with regards to programming....
    Such as?

In my opinion you'll need at least a basic understanding of computers before you can effectively program. For example you'll probably need to know how to navigate your file system form the command shell.

Jim
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by jimblumberg
    Such as?

In my opinion you'll need at least a basic understanding of computers before you can effectively program. For example you'll probably need to know how to navigate your file system form the command shell.

Jim
    for instance the terms "stack overflow, the stack, memory hierarchy, and the list goes on and on" my main goal is to program on embedded systems, networks and applications.....do you have any enlightening advice???coz I'm quite loss right now.......BTW THANKS FOR REPLYING, GREATLY APPRECIATED IT :)
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You want to do embedded programming? Then you definitely need to understand the hardware and digital electronics.
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Many high level programming languages conceal hardware details. If you merely wanted to count occurrences of "witch" in the text of Macbeth, no problem. Disregarding "embedded programming without knowing hardware detail" you'll eventually want to know why multiplying positive numbers results in a negative number. And you might want to understand floating point representation.
    Code:
    #include<stdio.h>
    int main() {
      long x = 922337203685477580;
      return 0 * printf("15 times a positive integer: %ld\n", 15 * x);
    }

/*
      output:

15 times a positive integer: -4611686018427387916

*/
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!
  11. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your insights guys!!!!! BTW are there any books that can help me in my self study of programming? And what language do you prefer in my case? :)
  13. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

If I were heading into the wilderness I'd take the Bible because Leviticus tells us which bugs are safe to eat. Maybe there's some good programming advice in there as well.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo