#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    0

    Algorithm for prefix in a tree


    hi everyone!

    I have to write a algorithm for creating a prefix using stack.





    A
    / \
    B C
    \\\
    DEF

    The prefix code is ABDEFC



    Can anyone explain me how to do it with using stack.I know this is simple question but I am not able to write a algorithm for it.I do not how to write an algorithm.

    After coming to ABDEF by what condition i use to go back to B and then go to C?


    Thanks
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    San Francisco Bay
    Posts
    1,939
    Rep Power
    1313
    Use recursion. In pseudocode:
    Code:
    string prefix(tree x) {
        string val(x.root.name);
        for (int k = 0; k < x.num_children; ++k) {
            val = val + prefix(x.child(k));
        }
        return val;
    }
    Edit: Oh, sorry, I gather from your post that you don't want to use recursion, though technically, if you were to implement a recursive solution, it would implicitly be using a stack on the assembly level.

    Nonrecursive pseudocode:
    Code:
    string prefix(tree x) {
        string val;
        stack<tree> the_stack;
        the_stack.push(x);
        while (!the_stack.empty()) {
            tree y(the_stack.top());
            the_stack.pop();
            val = val + y.root.name;
            for (int k = y.num_children - 1; k >= 0; --k) {
                the_stack.push(y.child(k));
            }
        }
        return val;
    }

    Comments on this post

    • ManiacDan agrees
    Last edited by Lux Perpetua; November 11th, 2012 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Misread OP
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks alot! but i have to use stack with loops inside.


    Originally Posted by Lux Perpetua
    Use recursion. In pseudocode:
    Code:
    string prefix(tree x) {
        string val(x.root.name);
        for (int k = 0; k < x.num_children; ++k) {
            val = val + prefix(x.child(k));
        }
        return val;
    }
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    San Francisco Bay
    Posts
    1,939
    Rep Power
    1313
    Yes, sorry, I misread it the first time. I've edited my post.
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks alot for the post .

    It is difficult for me to understand the code.

    I was trying to do with link list and stack.

    I m really sorry I cant understand and i think it is high level programing.
    I am new to computer world :(



    Originally Posted by Lux Perpetua
    Yes, sorry, I misread it the first time. I've edited my post.
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    0
    I am using a struct_node which has
    val;
    node_son;
    node_brother;


    my algo is this but i m stucking at one place


    current <- father;
    if (current != NULL)
    {
    while( current ! = NULL)
    {
    insert the value of curent in the stack
    current <-- current.son;
    } // here the value ABD will be inserted in the stack


    while ( current--> brother ! = NULL)
    {
    current <-- current.brother
    insert the value of current into the stack

    } // here the stack will have ABDEF

    This is where i m stuck how i put the 'C' in the stack , how to hold the value of C .
    }


    as the final answer should be ABDEFC






    Originally Posted by srsiddiqui
    Thanks alot for the post .

    It is difficult for me to understand the code.

    I was trying to do with link list and stack.

    I m really sorry I cant understand and i think it is high level programing.
    I am new to computer world :(
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    San Francisco Bay
    Posts
    1,939
    Rep Power
    1313
    Originally Posted by srsiddiqui
    my algo is this but i m stucking at one place
    I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you're not simply stuck at one place. The pseudocode you presented is not even close.

    Here is what I gather your tree structure is, from your last post:
    Code:
    A --------------------- *
    |
    B ------------- C - *
    |               |
    D - E - F - *   *
    |   |   |
    *   *   *
    where '-' denotes "brother," '|' denotes "son," and '*' denotes NULL. The procedure to do a preorder traversal of this type of tree is actually even simpler than my previous pseudocode: push A onto an empty stack, and then just repeatedly pop a node X from the stack and push X.brother and X.son, in that order, ignoring the ones that are NULL. If you record the nodes in the order in which you pop them, you'll get the correct sequence.

    Rather than give you new pseudocode for this, let's just go through the process and see what gets pushed onto and popped from the stack:

    • Push A onto an empty stack. (Stack = {A})
    • Pop A from stack. Push A.son (=B) onto the stack. (Stack = {B})
    • Pop B from stack. Push B.brother (=C) and B.son (=D) onto stack. (Stack = {C, D})
    • Pop D from stack. Push D.brother (=E) onto stack. (Stack = {C, E})
    • Pop E from stack. Push E.brother (=F) onto stack. (Stack = {C, F})
    • Pop F from stack. (Stack = {C})
    • Pop C from stack. (Stack = {})
    • Stack is empty, so exit.
  14. #8
  15. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks!
    It is quite simple.Sorry that you have to tell me this things as i suck in computer.

    I did this way, i do not know if it is wright or not.

    Code:
    Procedure Prefix(input father)
    
          current <-- father;
    
         if (current != null)
         {
              while current != null)
              { 
                      push(current.value ) in stack
                      currentparent<-- current
               }
              
               if( current.brother != NULL)
               {  
                     current<--(current.brother)
                     push( current.value) in stack
                 }
                if( currentparent.brother!= null)
                {
                       current<-- currentparent.brother
                       push(current.value)
                }
          }
    I think this is wrong as i do not POP any value.
    but i thought alot , this is working with my tree.


    Originally Posted by Lux Perpetua
    I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you're not simply stuck at one place. The pseudocode you presented is not even close.

    Here is what I gather your tree structure is, from your last post:
    Code:
    A --------------------- *
    |
    B ------------- C - *
    |               |
    D - E - F - *   *
    |   |   |
    *   *   *
    where '-' denotes "brother," '|' denotes "son," and '*' denotes NULL. The procedure to do a preorder traversal of this type of tree is actually even simpler than my previous pseudocode: push A onto an empty stack, and then just repeatedly pop a node X from the stack and push X.brother and X.son, in that order, ignoring the ones that are NULL. If you record the nodes in the order in which you pop them, you'll get the correct sequence.

    Rather than give you new pseudocode for this, let's just go through the process and see what gets pushed onto and popped from the stack:

    • Push A onto an empty stack. (Stack = {A})
    • Pop A from stack. Push A.son (=B) onto the stack. (Stack = {B})
    • Pop B from stack. Push B.brother (=C) and B.son (=D) onto stack. (Stack = {C, D})
    • Pop D from stack. Push D.brother (=E) onto stack. (Stack = {C, E})
    • Pop E from stack. Push E.brother (=F) onto stack. (Stack = {C, F})
    • Pop F from stack. (Stack = {C})
    • Pop C from stack. (Stack = {})
    • Stack is empty, so exit.
  16. #9
  17. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    0
    Can you please write the generalised algo for this question.
    with using structures.

    Originally Posted by Lux Perpetua
    Yes, sorry, I misread it the first time. I've edited my post.
  18. #10
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    San Francisco Bay
    Posts
    1,939
    Rep Power
    1313
    Originally Posted by srsiddiqui
    Thanks!
    It is quite simple.Sorry that you have to tell me this things as i suck in computer.

    I did this way, i do not know if it is wright or not.

    Code:
    Procedure Prefix(input father)
    
          current <-- father;
    
         if (current != null)
         {
              while current != null)
              { 
                      push(current.value ) in stack
                      currentparent<-- current
               }
              
               if( current.brother != NULL)
               {  
                     current<--(current.brother)
                     push( current.value) in stack
                 }
                if( currentparent.brother!= null)
                {
                       current<-- currentparent.brother
                       push(current.value)
                }
          }
    I think this is wrong as i do not POP any value.
    but i thought alot , this is working with my tree.
    Again, not even close. I'm surprised, since I already gave you the answer:
    Originally Posted by Lux Perpetua
    ...push A onto an empty stack, and then just repeatedly pop a node X from the stack and push X.brother and X.son, in that order, ignoring the ones that are NULL. If you record the nodes in the order in which you pop them, you'll get the correct sequence.
    Originally Posted by srsiddiqui
    Can you please write the generalised algo for this question.
    with using structures.
    So far, I have provided:
    • Recursive pseudocode
    • Nonrecursive pseudocode, using a stack
    • A complete plain-language description of the stack-based algorithm, using your data structure
    • A detailed walk-through of the stack algorithm on your example tree
    Based on the pseudocode you last posted, you haven't comprehended even 1% of my attempts to point you in the right direction. If you are this clueless, then I'm sorry, you're simply in over your head, and there's no point in my giving you further help on this topic.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo