1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to approach a problem

I've been dabbling with C++ for a few years now and I've become pretty famaliar with the syntax. The part I seem to struggle the most at is approaching the problem and interpreting the information. Is there any tips or practices you guys follow? Right now I get the problem and just start coding I find I solve the problem the fastest that way. Mayb e I should include that its usually frustrating to code with my current method. I'm just interesting in hearing some other methods :D
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Perhaps you need to attempt larger projects.
    Let me offer some tiny projects that, for us lesser mortals, require thought. Sign up for project euler
    projecteuler.net

You're pretty sharp, you may as well start at problem 60 and work from there.

In these problems the most obvious algorithm that pops in your head is worth encoding because you'll verify your understanding of the problem and be able to generate test cases for a good solution. And the first thing that pops into your head will often be a code you can write down on first try. But please remember the projectEuler rule: with a good algorithm the problem can be solved in one minute cpu time on a moderate computer.

Problem 60 isn't terribly difficult but you'll need to combine concepts of prime numbers and combinatorics.
    And maybe a little more. The problems get more difficult. Try 404 after you solve #60! Just kidding. Maybe you can do it. I haven't tried yet.
    Last edited by b49P23TIvg; April 4th, 2013 at 12:21 PM.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thank you

Wow, pretty much exactly what I was looking for just didn't think something like this existed. lol Thanks
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Programming contests aren't terribly difficult to find. projecteuler is a contest in the same way running is a contest. I'm neither Morceli nor El Guerrouj but I can set a personal record for the year, and every runner can attempt these goals.
    PS. I'm a ProjectEuler level 7.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo