1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Beginning C Book help

I have been wanting to learn C for quite some time now and have finally decided to give it a try. I have little experience with Visual Basic .NET and C++. Though neither of those experiences were quality experiences. I took both classes at a community college. First Visual Basic .NET in which I feel I have become a master at dragging and dropping but very little experience at all in coding as most of the code was handed to us or auto completed by Visual Studio. The next Semester I took C++ in, not only was the instructor unsure about what he was teaching and wrong quite often he didnít have the ability to use a keyboard with out at least 10 minutes of fixing spelling errors. In both of these classes all assignments, projects and what not where done in class with the code clearly displayed to us. This method did nothing for me because I didn't have to think for myself. Overall my experiences thus far in programming have been disappointing from the start. I wasn't even able to take a C class because it is not offered in my area.

So I guess to get to my actual question, I was wondering if this book would be a good starting point http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0672305100/qid=1152477580/sr=2-3/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_3/103-6977501-2180606?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

I did noticed that this book was published some time ago and wonder if that will have an effect on the learning process if I should find something newer and more relevant to C today.

However if this is a good starting point what would be a good 2nd book.

Thanks in advance.
  3. Google Relay Server
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

That book seems to have gotten good reviews but I definitely wouldn't go with any book published before at least 1999; a new C standard came out that year and I've seen a lot of posts here by beginners reading old books who end up confused because of the non-standard things in the books.

I can't personally recommend any good books as I'm a big fan of the internet myself, but I know other people can. You may want to search this forum for "books" or something; the question has been asked before.

As far as online stuff goes if you need something to hold you over in the mean time, check out the commonly asked questions thread; it has some good links in it. And of course, as you are learning, you can always come here to ask us questions!

Good luck! :)
    OMG RAVER CHICKS!!
    On a related note: C/C++ Programming Tutorials

"Science is based on reality staying the same, and Nature ignores what humans vote upon." -- Bill Beaty
    "Three litres of sherry up the butt can only be described as astounding." -- Darwin Awards
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi,
    A good starting book is "C primer Plus", 5th edition by Stephen Prata.
  7. No Profile Picture

Thank you for the insight I actually own the book C++ Primer Plus, 5th ed by Stephen Prata, got it to help me through my C++ class. I will definatly have to check out C Primer Plus.

Also where would I go to read the standards for C and C++ and to see what makes up and is included in say <iostream>.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I haven't read this one, but it has good reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0201379260/ref=cm_lm_fullview_prod_6/103-8544034-1935820?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

Also you can check these lists:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/listmania/fullview/5N7LO3GC82B9/103-8544034-1935820?%5Fencoding=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/guides/guide-display/-/2L9ULOL6YQWUO/ref=cm_bg_guides/103-8544034-1935820

Rafael
  11. No Profile Picture

Cool, I just decided to get into C as well! I had a similar experience to yours, though I didnt go to classes for the languages I ventured into. For me it was Python and C++. For some reason I just cant seem to get into Python or C++ like I can with C. I started learning it a few days ago from this site:
    http://www.its.strath.ac.uk/courses/c/tableofcontents3_1.html
    Its really helpful and full of examples and whatnot. Funny thing though, I just get to a lesson on gets() and puts(), when I read a post on here to a link about not using those, but using fgets() and fputs(). Easy fix though.
    Anyway, best of luck to you (and myself) in our adventures with C! :)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo