Thread: Good C++ Book

1. No Profile Picture
    <?php
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Good C++ Book

Hello,

I am looking for a good C++ book that is for beginners but toward the end gets into advanced topics also. Does anyone know of one?

I have C++ Primer Plus 4th Edition--havn't read it yet, but I hear some people don't think he can teach C++, anyone else have this book and have comments on it?

Oh, and now the good old question--C or C++ first? I have a few really good C books, please give your 2 cents on this question.

Thank you,
    -Sean
    Last edited by php_rocks; May 12th, 2003 at 08:42 PM.
    "I speak English, can you type it?" -Everett_XML
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I learned C++ too long ago to be able to recommend beginning books that are currently out there. However, after you have learned the basics, your second book should be Scott Meyer's "Effective C++" -- not for beginners but valuable information for C++ programmers.

Since C++ is based so much on C, you will learn most of C in the process of learning C++. One approach to C++ is to think of it as a "better C". It would probably be more efficient to go ahead and learn C++ first.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I learned C++ without learning C. I can recommend a good book:

Ivor Horton's Beginning C++

It really explains everything very well, and gets more challenging the further you go in the book. When you complete the book, you will have learned a lot, and it's a great reference book. There are 4-5 problems at the end of every chapter with solutions--a rarity for computer books, though absolutely necessary if you really want to learn how to program.
  7. jasondoucette.com

Originally posted by 7stud
    I learned C++ without learning C. I can recommend a good book:

Ivor Horton's Beginning C++
    EDIT: As 7stud pointed out, I made a mistake. What I wrote below is a review of "Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 6", as he corrected below.

I highly recommend this book, as well.

A quick note: It is not that great if you wish to get into Win32 API programming, as it only covers that in one quick chapter for a foundation of understanding MFC... not only that, but it jumps right into using the AppWizard, which creates MFC code, so that's two layers on top of the API... which I completely recommend against doing. The thing that drives me crazy about most tutorials is that they do not cover what is actually going on under the hood, and this book makes that mistake in the windows programming section of it. But, the first 10 chapters on C++ does NOT make this mistake (well, it misses a few minor things), and it is the best C++ tutorial that I have seen, yet. By far. Highly recommended for learning C++.
    Last edited by Jason Doucette; May 13th, 2003 at 02:59 PM.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Jason Doucette,

Unfortunately, you just gave a review for the wrong book. You reviewed "Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 6", and I recommended Ivor Horton's Beginning C++. They are two very different books. "Beginning C++" does not cover the Win API.
    Last edited by 7stud; May 13th, 2003 at 08:45 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture

1) It is better study C++ without C because
    this languages use different program concepts

2) some good C++ likns include books
    you can find hear:
    http://www.brigsoft.com/edu
  13. jasondoucette.com

Originally posted by 7stud
    Jason Doucette,

Unfortunately, you just gave a review for the wrong book. You reviewed "Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 6", and I recommended Ivor Horton's Beginning C++. They are two very different books. "Beginning C++" does not cover the Win API.
    You are quite correct. I guess I read your post a little too quickly. Sorry about the mix-up.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Linux World Forum Admin

I preffer the "C++ how to program "
    its acadimic book and start with you as you dont know what is the computer ..

you can buy it and you will not be sad ever ever
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

"you can buy it and you will not be sad ever ever"

What about when you finish a practice problem, and turn to the back of the book for the answer and it's not there? :(

Or, how about when you get to p. 750, and realize you're only half way done with the book? :(

Overall rating: :( :(
  19. Big Endian

Thinking In C++ Volumes 1 & 2 are free for download in various formats (I prefer the .pdf). And you can't beat the price...

http://mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html

Other free books here:

http://www.mindview.net/Books
  21. not a fan of fascism (n00b)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

i personally think the Deitel and Deitel books are great if you have someone to answer programming questions for you. They offer tons of exercises after each chapter, the only thing lacking are the answers which is why you need a mentor of some sorts...which is everyone is here for!
  23. Big Endian

The Deitel and Deitel books are good. I got one with a training CD for the people at my office for ~$15 off of eBay.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...1&query=Deitel

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo