Can someone help with the following problem? It concerns the marshalling of datatype 'bool' from unmanaged C++ to managed C++.

This is a native C++ class:

class CmClip
{
public:
virtual bool runtest()
{
return false;
}
};

Then I try to access it from a managed __gc class like this:

CmClip * pClip = new CmClip();
bool b = false;
b = pClip->runtest();

The expected value of b is 'false'. However, it is 'true'.

How to solve this? This is not the result that is expected. (I would very much like to keep the unmanaged code untouched.)

I have tried:
remove the 'virtual' keyword from the function runtest(). Result: all works correctly, b = false. But I touched the original code.

I have tried:
change the return type from bool to BOOL. Result: again all works correctly. But I touched the original code.

I have tried:
storing the return value from runtest() in an integer. Result: does not work, integer is set to value 0x1.

I am aware that a native bool has size 1 byte, whereas a managed bool always has size 4 bytes. This could partly explain, but not excuse, why I get a wrong return value.

Does anyone have a deeper explanation for this? Or maybe even a solution? I would like to 'solve' this purely from the managed side, and prefer to not make changes in the original code.

Best regards,

Stephen Muires

PS:
If anyone has trouble reproducing the error here is a demo cpp file that can compile on its own and demonstrates the error:
Compile with cl.exe version 13.00.9466:
cl /clr managedbool.cpp
expected output: 'False'
actual output: 'True'

//file managedbool.cpp
#using <mscorlib.dll>
#include <tchar.h>
using namespace System;
#pragma unmanaged
class UnmanagedClass
{
public: