1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Borland C++ Builder Newbie Question

Hi, I have d/l'ed a trial version of Borland C++ Builder and I was messing around with some sample programs...

When I press F9 (run) a new window opens up, but it is totally blank so I can't see if the program works or not even though it was compiled and built correctly.

Is there some kind of option so I would be able to see anything in the new window??
  3. Bad Andy
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hey, two weeks ago I was in the same boat as you. Learning builder for the first time. Except, I'm not just playing with it, my job depends on it :) As for you question, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are used to VC++ or other non graphical IDE. I was the same way. If you don't know already, BCB is very different when it comes to that. Sorry if you know any of this already, but to me, the blank page you decribe sounds like a form. If you are using commands such as cout, etc, they wont work because they are meant to print to a console screen. You instead have to create a form(hit f12 from code window). Once you make buttons etc, you have to make event handlers to respond to actions such as click or drag over. You can however stil make a console program if that is what you want. Go to File|New|Other then select the console wizard and hit OK. This will allow for the standard console. However, unlike VC++, there is no pause built in for the end of programs you make. So if you want it to pause at the end of your output so that you know what it is saying, add: "#include<conio.h>" to the top of your program and at then, put "getch();" where you want it to pause.
    Well, hope I didn't misunderstand your question, and good luck.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo