1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

should buy this book?

I don't know jack about C++. Is C++ good for creating Windows applications. I just started thinking about it, as I kind of want to create a application for my windows computer to send its uptime to a php page like every 5 minutes or so. Would I have any problem doing something with this in C++? I was thinking about buying this book. Is this a good book, and will it teach me stuff I need to know to creating Window applications? -- Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Hi,

The Dietel book gets recommended quite a bit, although I didn't choose it when I was starting because at 1300 pages, it's just too long. The book I recommend is "Ivor Horton's Beginning C++"(850 pages). "Ivor Horton's Beginning C++" also has model answers for the program exercises at the end of every chapter--I'm not sure if the Dietel book does. I think it has an answer key that only college professors can get.

Also, neither of those books teaches anything about Windows programming. C++ and Windows programming are two different subjects. Windows programming can be learned using the win32 API directly, although that involves a lot of drudgery, or it can be learned with Visual C++ and MFC, which eliminates the drudgery and makes windows programming much easier, but it results in less efficient code. The book often recommended for Windows programming with the win32 API is a titanic 1500 pages long.

If you want a book that combines C++ and Windows programming with MFC, there is "Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 6"(1050 pages). For that book, you'll also need to buy a Microsoft Visual C++ compiler to run programs with. The first 11 chapters of that book are a C++ tutorial, and the next 13 chapters teach you Windows programming with MFC. That may be the shortest approach.

Either way, it's not like spending a week on learning php and being able to do some things. C++ is a huge language and it will take a lot of studying and a big commitment to learn.
    Last edited by 7stud; August 16th, 2003 at 06:35 AM.
  5. WebDeveloper++;

Just to let you know, you can still make some PHP console applications to communicate with your php pages. I created an IRC bot, and it works quite well. It can update my db, and communicate with some of my pages through the mysql and socket functions.
  7. Contributing User

and how did you do that?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Offensive Member
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

'Programming windows' is the bible, currently at 5 edition.
    It has a CD and is easy to understand.
    Teaches you the WIN32 in C. This gives you the foundation to build upon. The MS C++ based wrapper, MFC, will be easier if you know the underlying API functions.

google for Petzold
    The essence of Christianity is told us in the Garden of Eden history. The fruit that was forbidden was on the Tree of Knowledge. The subtext is, All the suffering you have is because you wanted to find out what was going on. You could be in the Garden of Eden if you had just kept your f***ing mouth shut and hadn't asked any questions.

Frank Zappa

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo