Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Okay, just applause the most dumbest error in the world of programming. I had named the file essai.txt. Which resulted of a name of essai.txt.txt.
    Sorry for wasting your time. :(

EDIT: In fact I realized that sometimes copying a .txt resulted to make it essai.txt and sometimes essai.txt.txt... So not entirely my fault tho :D
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I seem to recall from several years ago that that is default behavior for NotePad ... or was it WordPad? Whenever you save a new file, it would automatically add on a .txt extension. And to make matters worse, the default idiotic behavior of Windows Explorer is to hide that file extension from you.

My solution has been to always turn off that idiotic Windows Explorer setting (the same one that would have you try to open an attached document called mydoc.doc.exe, thus opening your computer up to all kinds of mal-ware) and to not use NotePad nor WordPad, but rather my own favorite text editor (Note Tab Pro). There might be a way to change that option in NotePad or WordPad, but I think I just had to place the new file name in quotation marks.

Though I am skeptical about an additional .txt getting added by copying an existing file. Could you please do a controlled experiment to reproduce that result?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Well, when I made the file essai.txt (and I was entirely sure it was essai.txt because I saved it as essai on notepad) and copied the file essai.txt, I ended up with one essai.txt in one directory and one essai.txt.txt in directory of my .exe.
    I'm making every error that is possible. :D
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

From my quotes file:
    Originally Posted by Pundit Mitch Radcliffe
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila.
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo