1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

const char* Vs char*

hi
    whats the difference between const char* and char*? i need to append data (data varies in size) to char array and then write it to a text file. which one of these serves the purpose.

thanks in advance
  3. not a fan of fascism (n00b)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

a const char * is a pointer that always points to the same location i believe. a char * is just a regular pointer to a character. you should use a regular char * for your needs
  5. Contributing User

Declaring a parameter const char*prevents the function being called from moving the pointer. The data pointed to however may be changed. In C++ a reference parameter
    char& does a similar job and may be clearer. A char* will work, but the protection is not there, and does not indicate intent to the user of the function.

Clifford
    Last edited by clifford; August 23rd, 2003 at 03:15 AM.
  7. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Originally posted by clifford
    Declaring a parameter const char*prevents the function being called from moving the pointer. The data pointed to however may be changed. In C++ a reference parameter
    char& does a similar job and may be clearer. A char* will work, but the protection is not there, and does not indicate intent to the user of the function.
    You're confusing const char * and char * const declarations. You can move the const char * ptr, but you can't assign to the data being pointed to (if you couldn't move the pointer, strcpy(), strcmp() etc. would never work). See What's the meaning of: int const *pt for a slightly long winded explanation about different declarations using const.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  9. Contributing User

I was going to argue that point, but had the sense to check, and Scorpions4ever is entirely correct.

From Stroustrop:

Code:
    char *const cp    // const pointer to char
    char const* pc    // pointer to const char
    const char* pc    // pointer to const char
    Clifford

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo