1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

convert binary to hex

I would like to read some binary numbers from a file and convert them to hexadecimal numbers and then write those hexadecimal numbers to another file. Can anyone help with a C script that would do this?
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Inside a computer, all numeric value are in binary. Please be more explicit in describing what you want to do.

My assumption of what you are asking: you want to --
    1. Read values from a binary (ie, non-text) file
    2. Output them those values to a text file in hexadecimal format.

Using fprintf to write to the output text file, use the %X or %x format specifier.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It needs to be %02x per byte read, otherwise you may lose nibbles which are 0.
  7. It Doesn't Work!

you can fscanf("%d/* decimal*/") numbers and then fprintf("%x/*hexadecimal*/") numbers.

Fascinating. :)
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

why would he fscanf to an integer location when he can just read (or map) the file into memory & go through the data a lot faster (assuming the file is not HUGE)? And as I said before, %02x, not just %x; if reading 1 byte at a time, reading a nibble is ridiculous.
  11. Contributing User

Originally posted by xtor
    why would he fscanf to an integer location when he can just read (or map) the file into memory & go through the data a lot faster (assuming the file is not HUGE)? And as I said before, %02x, not just %x; if reading 1 byte at a time, reading a nibble is ridiculous.
    Or %04X for 16-bit unsigned ints or %08X for unsigned longs. The thing is that we don't know whether he wants to display them byte-wise, as in a hex dump, or as short or long ints.

BTW, there's a real nice UNIX/Linux utility, xxd, which generates a hex dump of whatever you feed it. It also comes in a Windows port. Maybe that will do what he wants.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Why just unsigned? Unsigned are almost always the same size as signed (in bits).

I thought my explanation was plenty, it hinted a single hexadecimal number represents 1 nibble, from that it's pretty easy to work out how many preceeding zero's should be used for each data size.
    Last edited by xtor; August 18th, 2003 at 06:13 PM.
  15. Contributing User

Originally posted by xtor
    Why just unsigned? Unsigned are almost always the same size as signed (in bits).

I thought my explanation was plenty, it hinted a single hexadecimal number represents 1 nibble, from that it's pretty easy to work out how many preceeding zero's should be used for each data size.
    According to my reference, by definition, the %x format specifier is unsigned.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

man pages state both %x and %X take unsigned integers (the %C outputs hexadecimal characters in capitals); although the hexadecimal output is sign independant, strange.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo