1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Creating a Agent Program to Send Data Back to MySQL DB

Hi,

I'm trying to work on developing a software agent (Windows XP/7) which can run an executable locally on computers, generate a log file, and send this data to a MySQL server.

Can you point me to any tutorials or sample source code?

Appreciate the help, thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Gadgets21
    Hi,

I'm trying to work on developing a software agent (Windows XP/7) which can run an executable locally on computers, generate a log file, and send this data to a MySQL server.

Can you point me to any tutorials or sample source code?

Appreciate the help, thanks!
    I'm not sure I understand what you want to accomplish. Let me rephrase your question.

Develop a software agent that will be installed on several computers. This software agent will be remotely started on all installed computers. The agent will then send data to a computer which has a mySQL server installed. Example, Computer A will control the installing/starting/stopping of agents installed on Computer B, C and D. The agents installed on B, C and D will send data to Computer E which has a mySQL server.

Is this the scope of your project?
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by BobS0327
    I'm not sure I understand what you want to accomplish. Let me rephrase your question.

Develop a software agent that will be installed on several computers. This software agent will be remotely started on all installed computers. The agent will then send data to a computer which has a mySQL server installed. Example, Computer A will control the installing/starting/stopping of agents installed on Computer B, C and D. The agents installed on B, C and D will send data to Computer E which has a mySQL server.

Is this the scope of your project?
    Yes that's right. You described it perfectly. Do you know where should I look for good tutorials?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, source code for the installer which is the app that will copy/install/start the agent on a remote computer can be found at CodeForge. Alternatively, you can use PsExec from Technet. The source code for the PsExec utility is not available.

I've posted a User contribution to the Zoneminder forum. Zoneminder is an open source CCTV security system. It uses mySQL databases to control the functionality of all the CCTV cameras. The C contribution I made allows the end user to update the local mySQL databases to change the function of various cameras. In other words, the code demonstrates how to modify/update a mySQL database. This is the link to the C source code sample. You can use this sample as a starting point for writing your "agent".

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo