Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by fierydog
    I don't agree with the C is easier also, I thank you so much for trying to help me.
    I think C++ is easier for beginners because of the STL and the obvious organization classes offer. std::string is much easier for a beginner to understand and use than creating a set of char* functions based around strlen/strtok/strstr/etc from the standard C library. Once you start learning more the benefits of using char*'s and other objects over the STL are a little more clear (IMO) and the difficultly of using them is much less.

I am considering going rpg and getting into game programming and hopefully miss a lot of the stuff i really don't understand much like pointers. (I think pointers are tough for everyone at first at least thats what the forums are telling me)
    From your post I'm assuming you are new to C/C++ and possibly even programming in general. If this is the case I strongly recommend not looking into any type of RPG or 3d graphic games until you have a deep understanding of the language you want to use. It will be difficult, if not impossible, to learn the language while learning and trying to develop a game in parallel. Don't knock yourself out, take bites you can chew.

As for pointers, I found this rather dumb, yet graphically informative, video about the concept of pointers from some students at Stanford.
    http://cslibrary.stanford.edu/104/
    Ok, so it treats you like a 3 year-old, but it seems to do a good job at illustrating pointers from a point-of-view rarely seen. I only wish I had found it when I was learning pointers, could have saved me from a lot of headaches!

The thing that probably discourages me most is the fact that when I try to learn say open gl, all the tutorials state stuff I don't know the point of.
    First learn the language (C/C++). Then read, read, read. Program, program, program. Read, read, read.
    Take a college course or get a good book for beginners.
    Once you get a handle on the language, take a look at this post:
    http://forums.devshed.com/showpost.p...65&postcount=2
    Which has some resources I found most helpful.
    You'll be most interested in NeHe and the college lecture notes. The lecture notes are of particular importance for learning the math behind OpenGL, which is important to understand if you're going to be working with GL.

Comments on this post

• peenie agrees : i'm going to have nightmares about that video one night when i least expect it
    Last edited by para45; June 29th, 2006 at 07:08 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks alot to you and peenie gave me an idea what I should be doing. I am (I don't know by your standards) pretty new, been working with it since spring break. I know classes and all that stuff just not the stuff like pointers, I don't really know arrays that much. However I do have a pretty good understanding of win32 but most of that stuff is rather simple stuff unlike openGL or direct x. Recently I have been learning more and more about c++ and I am going to continue that.
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo