Thread: C and databases

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Post C and databases

I think this is where this belongs as its partly databases as well ... if not then hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Here's what I'm planning:

To familiarize myself a little more with mySQL and C++ and how to work with both of them to create a finished program is my goal of this little pet project.

I'm going to be working on a tactical game, if you will, where there are entries in the database that contain the strengths, numbers, etc of each individual unit I'm going to be creating. I've already got the plan laid out for this, and all I need to do it insert it into a table in mySQL, transfer it from my notebook to notepad ;)

I want to take user input from a form on a webside and store it in a queue until I am midnight every night when I will take all the information from the queue, use C++ for all the calculations, checks and what not to make sure the move is legal, and then update the database directly with this information.

Then, after the queue is empty the program will export the new database file onto my webserver so that the client I'm going to create will be able to take the read only database and display the information on a map of octagons (this *should* be a simple visual c++ job).

Now, is there a website, book, etc that I can view in order to get a good idea at just what I'm looking at doing, and how to approach the more difficult problems? Such as, if a fire order is given I have to pull the information from the database on the unit that is firing and the unit that is recieving the fire, calculate the damage and write the modified numbers back into the database all within a reasonable amount of time, if the unit count gets fairly large.

Whats the best medium to store the information from the web until I'm ready to process it. A friend of mine suggested that an e-mail account is a perfect way to have a queue setup without having to go through too much trouble programming ... but it would be interesting, for me, to write a program that would pull e-mails off of the net, read them and then store them in a queue to be processed.

Anyway, I hope thats enough detail on what I'm trying to do with this project of mine. Like I said, any information on resources I can look at would be greatly appreciated, or even any input here or at my e-mail address: stonewall@orblivion.com

Thanks again!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Buy a book called MySQL by Paul DuBois. It's a great book, that has examples in C.
    Cheers,
    Michael Bray
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks a bunch, I went and ordered that book from Books a Million today, will check it out and hopefully answer all the questions that I had :)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo