1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

differences in linux vs. windows C++

is syntax in linux similar or disimilar to that in windows? All the C++ knowledge I know is in windows/dos. Would it be tough for me to make the switch to linux?

-andy
    hmmm...
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    C++ is the same on both. What is different is the API functions for each OS. If you stick to writing text mode stuff, then there should be very little difference between the two of them. As long as you don't use any GUI stuff/OS specific stuff (i.e. Window GUI functions, Registry functions, Threads etc.) porting should be relatively easy.
  5. Contributing User

I concur with Scorpions. All the differences that I can think of are OS-specific stuff.

For example:

You write a qualified file name (ie, contains both directory path and file name) differently:
    "files\\thisfile.txt"
    becomes
    "files/thisfile.txt"
    Also, file and directory names will now be case-senstive.

Instead of doing a FindFirst followed by FindNext, you will do an opendir and readdir.

Everything else that comes to mind is the extra stuff that you can do in Linux (processes, interprocess comm, etc).
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

they are very similar, if you know one, you can pick up the system stuff in a day
  9. No Profile Picture

IM switching to linux...I hope I wont have too many probs doing C++ or D3D programming
  11. /(bb|[^b]{2})/

If you mean Direct3D programming, then you wont have any problems with it on linux, since it isn't supported by linux.
    Linux uses OpenGL.
  13. Contributing User

Originally posted by bes
    IM switching to linux...I hope I wont have too many probs doing C++ or D3D programming
    Make the switch with your eyes open. For example, while I do most of my professional work in Windows, I'm learning and working with Linux on the side. I've even written a few test utilities (eg, a broadcast server) on Linux. So my transition is gradual. And I have yet to tackle GUI programming.

The C++ language is very similar, but don't overlook that the OS and the GUIs are different. You've already learned that you will need to work in OpenGL (which is also supported in Windows) instead of Direct3D. Since you appear to be GUI-oriented, you must also learn that about all you can carry over from Windows programming are some basic concepts. None of your Windows tools will help you (unless there are some ports). Basically, you will either use GTK+ (GUI API using C functions) or Qt (a C++ framework). Borland offers Kylix, which is a Delphi port, but then that's Pascal instead of C++.

So while you won't have a C++ learning curve, you will still have non-trivial OS and GUI-programming learning curves. By all means, go for it! But be realistic about what the switch is going to take.
  15. Banned ;)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    >> Borland offers Kylix, which is a Delphi port, but then that's Pascal instead of C++.

Kylix 3 is a C++ compiler as well.
  17. /(bb|[^b]{2})/

You also have wxWindows which is supposed to be cross-platform, but I have never used this guy as of yet.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo