1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thumbs up How to distribute C program to client ?

Hey everyone ....This is my first real world program.I am confused (Actually i don't know ) how to distribute my program to my client ? The program is reading text file and making connection with modem(Through virtual COM Port device is USB modem) to send sms to all the clients in file(File is combination of mobile number and message). When the sending process is over it will delete the file and make the comport free. Not a hard job. I have programmed it in C. But I don't know how to distribute it to my client.Can anyone describe me the process in depth. I request you to put some worth reference to read because I want to clear this topic in depth. I am developing this for Windows platform. When i built my project the ".exe" is generated. Is this .exe is portable amongst the Windows platform ? Thank you for reading my post and giving me your important time. I am waiting for your intelligent suggestions.Thank you. :D
  3. Contributing User

Yes, the executable is your program.

It may have external dependencies on DLLs that are not part of the OS, but if that were the case you would presumably know that. If it does you will also need to distribute the DLLs too (subject to any specific licensing terms from the individual authors).

Depending on what toolchain you used to build your code, you may need to distribute additional libraries. For example if you used VC++ Express to generate native code from C or C++ code (i.e. not .NET), then you may need the VC++ re distributable package (get the correct version from here).

You would do well to find a machine that does not have your development tools installed to test the distribution "stands alone". A virtual machine is a good way to do that since you can control the environment and OS version etc. without needing separate hardware.
    Last edited by clifford; May 31st, 2013 at 10:21 AM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo