1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Download via HTTP - which method?

Hi,

I hail from a Java background where dealing with HTTP was not really an issue. I have since moved to C due to a change in employer, and am interested in re-inventing most of my more recent Java code in C to aid my learning of the language.

Can anyone tell me how to oppen an HTTP connection to a given URL and retrieve the document (or html page - which ever is easiest for purposes of the explanation)? I realise that there are lots of explanations on the web for this, however I am growing increasingly frustrated with the apparent proprietory nature of C/C++. I dont really want to be locked into using the Microsoft platform as it looks like my company will be making the move to linux in the next year or so. I realise that there are packages such as WinINet which apparently simplify things, however if I choose that route i am stuffed when i encounter Linux as a programmer and my code won't work.

Can anyone suggest a platform independent (or as good as it gets) way of performing this pretty standard task?

Thanks in advance.

aceduk
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

You might be able to find some sort of libary thing to do it.

I remember writing a class for it a while go.. just using normal sockets.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo