1. Rut row Raggy!
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Question Any experience w/CodeWarrior?

I really want to make the desktop application that I mentioned in an earlier post. I was looking at Borland, but then I came across CodeWarrior. They have a fairly cheap IDE (under $100) that is geared towards students who are starting out in programming. I've never seen anyone at school (college) use it, but I remember students using it in my high school computer science class, so it must be a good program. On their website, it says that it's a great program for "beginners." I'm wondering if that means that it's easy to use or that it's only good for making simple programs like a calculator or Wordpad-like program. Since I rarely hear about it, I'm guessing it's the later. Has anyone ever used it?
    Matt
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

It is definitely a good IDE. A few classes at my college use that as their IDE of choice. Also, Raytheon, a big defense company, has used their products. I thought it had a nice setup, and is not just meant for simple programs. A big benefit with CodeWarrior, IMHO, is that they provide their IDE on multiple platforms. I say you should give them a try.
  5. Told you it'll crash...
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Talking Code Warrior IDE

CW IDE is great.
    This does not mean its simple, however. Lots of features, more-less intuitive interface (well, at least on Macs).
    Additionally, for beginners and not only for em - documentation/examples/project templates of all kinds.
    Only one restriction. To truly master it you'll need to put alot of work in it, since Metrowerks has its own view on many things.
    If you'll feel like re-using some freely distributed code, visit Metrowerks' class archive on their website.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If cost is keeping you away from Miscrosoft, Visual Studio .NET is available in an academic version for $99. Not the whole suite, but has C++, C#, VB, and Crystal Reports. Good for most learning needs. Check your bookstore. But if you're looking at CW specifically because it's not MS, then I guess the price of VS doesn't really matter...
  9. Rut row Raggy!

Thanks for your advice! Looks like I'll be buying CodeWarrior! If a better or just-as-good program made by someone other than Microsoft is available, I'll use that one. Cost is my main issue, though. Since I'll be using this for mainly learning and messing around, spending more than $100 on it wouldn't make much sense. Other than the cost, the main selling points for me was that I could devlop programs for BOTH Mac and Windows (and also develop that code on both Mac and Windows)! So far I haven't come across any program that offered that. Anyway, I just saw that it offered more for less and thought, hmmm, I wonder if there's a reason for that. Thanks again for clearing any doubts I had!
    Matt

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo