1. Cast down
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Finding length of array?

I am writing a strcpy function, but I want to determine if string1 is big enough to hold string2? right now it's just s(char *str1, char *str2) and loops filling up str1.. I will also have something like strcpyn.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

You can use the strlen() function in <cstring> to find the length of string1:

strlen(string1)

Or, you can step through str1 using array notation(e.g. str1[0], str1[1], etc.) and count the characters, until you hit a \0 which is tacked onto the end of every c-string.
    Last edited by 7stud; August 3rd, 2003 at 09:39 PM.
  5. Cast down
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

No, what if the array is int? or it's full of garbage data, but I guess you CAN't because you WILL always know the array size, since it can't be dynamic.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

int values[20];

int values_length=sizeof(values)/sizeof(values[0]);

sizeof(values) gets the total number of bytes occupied by the array, and sizeof(values[0]) gets the number of bytes occupied by the first element(which is the same as every other element).

I hadn't thought of the case where a char array hasn't been initialized and is full of garbage values. The above solution will work for any array type--whether it has garbage values or not.
    Last edited by 7stud; August 3rd, 2003 at 11:36 PM.
  9. Doggie
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I don't think sizeof works for dynamicly created arrays, ie:
    Code:
    int *x;
    x=new int[100];
    What you would usually do is store the size as a seperate value.

If you know the array will be fairly small, you can store it as a pascal string.

A pascal string has it's first array element an unsigned byte representing the length of the string. ie:
    Code:
    char *x;
    x=new char[3];
    x[0]=2;
    x[1]='h';
    x[2]='i';
    Of course, the best way to solve the problem is just to always remember to initialize all your strings with a null (0) character as the first byte.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo