1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

fixing corrupted <iostream> header file?

I was using the debugger in VC6 and I stepped into the <iostream> header file and somehow the header file must have gotten corrupted, because now when I try to compile a simple Hello World program, I get 102 errors.

When I click on the first error to take me to the line of code where it's occuring, a new file opens up called

c:\...\Vc98\Include\Ostream

and in that file are a few lines of code that I was working on, not what should be in there.

Can anyone paste the contents of the Ostream file in a reply, so I can copy and paste it back into that file. I noticed that in the Include folder there are two files called Ostream and Ostream.h. Apparently, my problem is in the Ostream file. If it helps you find the file on your computer, the full path on my computer is:

C:\Program Files\C++Microsoft Visual Studio\Vc98\Include\Ostream

Or, should I just reinstall everything?

Thanks.
    Last edited by 7stud; April 22nd, 2003 at 06:50 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

hope this helps!
    Attached Files
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

tOeJaM,

Thanks a lot. It works on a Hello World program. I hope it works on others! What version of VC6 do you have? I have the Professional Edition, and I'm wondering if I'm going to encounter any future problems.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

7stud,

I have Professional. Let me know if you run into any problems with it. Glad it's working for you.

I sent this to you in exchange for a lifetime supply of Q&A. I'll start sending my Q's soon. Hopefully you'll honor your end of the deal. j/k ;)
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the help. Everything seems fine. All questions need to be from the first 4 chapters of a beginning C++ book. :)
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Which one? I'm reading the TY C++ in 21 Days by Jessie Liberty. Currently on day 2, I hope to cover 2 days 2nite. It's a little hard though w/ my current project schedule to find time. :(
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, that's the book I first tried to learn C++ with, but when I got to around chapter 8, I threw it in the trash. In my opinion, Jesse Liberty is incompetent. However, with access to a good forum like this, I'm sure you'll be able to work your way through any questions you have. I don't think these types of forums existed when I was trying to learn C++, or maybe I just didn't know about them.

Good luck.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Interesting. sorry to hear that, I was hoping this would be a good cheap refresher book. Oh well, it's been good to me so far but chapters/days 2-4 are pretty unnecessary for my needs. Looks like 5 might not be necessary either but I'll give it a quick read tomorrow. It is good to have a health forum you can count on when you need queries answered.

L8r man

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo