Thread: Further C++

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Further C++

Hi

I am using C++ to the extent of building apps with object orinted
    features etc. on Sco Unix.
    I want to know what all other areas of development related to C++ i can enhance into or start my development on that are much desired today by the employers.

Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Databases maybe. Also real-time communications. Maybe security, encription and so on. Maybe not, these are only ideas.
  5. /(bb|[^b]{2})/

IMHO this all revolves around what area of programming you want to get into. If you wish to get into games, learn D3D and OpenGL. Anytime you know database programming it is a good thing, but stay away from embedded sql programming since it has some extra drawbacks to it which I wont get into here.
    Depending on the area you want, focus on the technologies associated with that area.
  7. No Profile Picture
    status unknown

It will vary greatly depending on where you live. First become something of an expert in your chosen language, e.g. C++. I assume you're comfortable with general OO stuff. Are you familiar with design patterns? Comfortable with templates? Do you use UML?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

There are a few things to concentrate on that will help you:

1. Practice your written and spoken communication skills. Your post indicates that your written English skills need a little work. Since you'll be communicating with employers and customers via the written word, this is a very important skill.

2. Check out a Dale Carnegie class, or if necessary his book, "How to win friends and influence people." In spite of its reputation as a manual for hard-sell salesmen, it really does have a lot of use. I wish I had read this book a lot sooner than I did. The skills taught in the class or book will help you enormously in getting, keeping and advancing in any job.

3. Learn about data structures, algorithms and the Standard Template Library. Chapter 6 of Kernighan & Ritchie makes a very good, if terse, overview of the basic data structures that you should know about. For more advanced topics you might look at Kyle Louden's Mastering Data Structures and Algorithms in C.

4. Write programs that solve real problems. Find some problems of your own that need solving and write programs to solve them, even if there is already a pre-written solution. Good areas to work on are CGI programs (check out the cgic library from boutell.com) and database programs, as others have indicated.

5. Check out UNIX outside of SCO. The BSD and Linux distributions are a good place to look, and the price is right.
    Clay Dowling
    Lazarus Notes
    Articles and commentary on web development
    http://www.lazarusid.com/notes/
  11. No Profile Picture

Thanks for replying.

But the real question of mine still is unanswered somehow.
    While browsing today i got some more info. on CGI & Corba integration with C++.
    Do you have more information on my question, i will repeat other technical areas related to C++ i can diversify into which gives me a better market edge.

regards

regards

:)
  13. Left due to despotic ad-min
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Ah, if it was just as simple as learning a few things and (hey presto) you're magically employable.

The real world isn't like that. There are a lot of fads in the software business --- programming languages, GUI libraries, communication libraries, etc etc. What may get you a job today may not tomorrow.

Most employers look for someone who;

a) Can communicate with people. The best coding skills or technical knowledge in the world won't help you can't work out what a customer, a client, or someone managing you needs and/or wants. This doesn't mean you have to be a glib salesman, but it means you need to be able to work with people.

b) You can also be independent when you need to be. If you need to ask your boss how to do something every ten minutes, he might as well be doing your job as well as his. On the other hand, you also need to have the judgement to work out when to ask for help: there's no point in slaving over something for hours if someone else can give you the answer quickly.

As a general rule, I'd suggest understanding the principles of software engineering (analysis, design) rather than just being a code hacker will make you more employable. Put it this way: if you had to write software that controlled a nuclear power plant --- and you then had to live near that power plant --- would you want someone who developed software by trial and error, or who developed it methodically and could explain why he decided to do it in a particular way?

Being able to solve real world problems is more useful than (for example) the little bits of coding you do in school or university. There's a whole difference between writing software to print out ten prime numbers and being able to develop a useful tool that you'll use again and again.

What I'm saying is, in some ways, the same message as from ClayDowling. That's because I think he's right: there is no simple answer to what will make you employable. There's a lot of things you need to do.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo