1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Interface tracking for hosted COM servers

I have a class that wraps a third party interface. Problem is, it's generating a substantial (~2 MB !) memory leak because the in process server that manages the interface isn't properly terminating when instances of the class are destroyed. I can verify this in Spy++, for each object that is ever created, a seperate server remains extant for the lifetime of the program despite the containing objects being properly destroyed.

So I have two questions. Are there any tools to help monitor COM servers? Explicitly, I'd love to be able to peer in and see if there are any objects which haven't been properly Release() 'd. Is there any way to explicitly destroy the server? I'm almost positive I've managed all my references properly, but in this case, something must be going wrong...
  3. No Profile Picture
    Dude' Where's My JD and Coke
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I'm not sure but wont the AtlTrace tool with VS help? This should be able to tell you what is still going. If i am wrong please be nice, dont know that much about COM and all that. Plus will looking at the ROT Table tell you anything. just some suggestions dont know how helpful they are
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I haven't managed to get any information from the AtlTrace tool, mostly because it has no help files and I can't figure out what it does.

Is it possible to browse the ROT table? I'm just now learning what it is, I'll peer into google for a while. Thanks.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo