Thread: Introduction

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Smile Introduction

hey!!
    I'm still new to the concept of forums, so i don't know very well about these, but i am about to start with c programming for my college course and i thought i should get connected to a forum regarding c programming, because my professor said forums are a good place to learn.
    So guys please bare with me and help me out as i learn c.
    thanks
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Welcome!

Please follow these instructions in your posts, show honest efforts well before the homework deadline, you'll get good help.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Welcome.

All you need to learn C is a good work ethic, good resources and some aspirin. I hope you'll find this forum a good resource in your C pursuit.
  7. No Profile Picture

thanks for the guidelines, they are sure to help me a lot in the near future
  9. No Profile Picture

Smile beginning with C

i'm real new to the programming world and am just about to get started with it
    so can someone guide me with some good book or text that explains the basics and how to begin with C, as there are a lot of books out in the market and i don't know which one to have to get a good start.
    Thanks.
  11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by subhobose0003
    can someone guide me with some good book or text that explains the basics and how to begin with C
    Surely the job of your class tutor? Whatever course text he recommends will probably be the one most suited to his course material, even if it otherwise sucks.
  13. Contributing User
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

i'm real new to the programming world and am just about to get started with it
    so can someone guide me with some good book or text that explains the basics and how to begin with C, as there are a lot of books out in the market and i don't know which one to have to get a good start.
    Thanks.
    I would think that you should start with the course textbook. Since you're going to be working with and from it anyway, you may as well get an early start with it. I've done that myself in the past; just make sure from the professor that that will still be the course textbook.

Of course, it can sometimes be nice to get a second opinion, a different explanation for when the textbook's doesn't seem to make sense.

You could supplement your textbook with the Schaum's Outlines on Programming with C by Byron Gottfried; most college bookstores should carry various Schaum's Outlines titles. Easy to read, uses graphical illustrations for such concepts as arrays and pointers, and covers some issues that I've seen few other books cover. Having not been a beginner in C for over two decades, I am out-of-touch with current beginning books, but this is one that I can recommend.

There's also The Book written by The People Who Wrote The Book, Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie (AKA "K&R"), designers of UNIX and of C. The Book is The C Programming Language (2nd edition); the first edition was almost literally the only book on the language originally. The first edition established "K&R" C, which has since been replaced by ANSI C for which the 2nd edition was rewritten. You will be learning ANSI C, as you should, though there's still a lot of source code on-line that's in K&R (just a heads-up for later). While this book is authoritative, it packs a lot of information into its deceptively slim frame of just 261 pages, making it much denser and more difficult to digest. However, as you acquire a base of knowledge, it will be a must for your bookshelf. Just make sure you get the second edition, with "ANSI C" stamped on the front cover in red.

And a piece of advice when working in C. C was written by experienced programmers for their own use, so C always assumes that you know what you are doing. It will warn you when you are doing something stupid, but it will still let you go ahead and do it. The situation has been described as C giving you enough rope to shoot yourself in the foot. So always think of what you are telling the compiler to do and never ignore compiler warning messages; warnings are much more important than error messages.
    Last edited by dwise1_aol; October 30th, 2012 at 01:56 PM.
  15. No Profile Picture

Smile

thanks
    i also agree about going through the book that my professor uses.
    i'm gonna talk to him about it and try to go through it before the course starts just to understand it better and that way i can even have my doubts cleared
    and thanks for referring me the other books available. i would surely check them out in my college library today
    thanks very much for your help
  17. Banned ;)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Whatever you do, avoid the book "Let us C" by Yashavant P. Kanetkar like the plague. Worst book ever. Oh and if your teacher suggests using Turbo-C as your compiler, speak up and tell him/her to use a more modern compiler.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  19. Contributing User

i'm gonna talk to him about it and try to go through it before the course starts just to understand it better and that way i can even have my doubts cleared
    My father's approach in high school was to start reading ahead in his textbooks as soon as he got them. That way, as the class progressed through the book, class time was always a review for him. Plus, in some subjects (eg, calculus) what you're working on at present doesn't make much sense until you know what it's leading to.
  21. No Profile Picture

Smile

hey guys,
    so i got to talk to my professor and he suggested to refer ansi c's book.
    i also got his notes from some of my seniors.
    planning to start with C from tomorrow.
    wish me luck.
    thanks

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo