Thread: want to learn C

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question want to learn C

I want to learn C language. can any one help me to master C?
    what books should i refer? :(
  3. Contributing User

To master C, I suggest the K&R: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

To learn C, I suggest something more accessible. I don't have any books that I can recommend, but go to Amazon and look up "Learn C" or "Beginning C" or something similar, and look for the 4.5 or 5 star books.
    Jon Sagara

"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
  5. Contributing User

...I would also like to recommend the book entitled "Turbo C/C++ Complete Reference" - Herbert Shcildt

It's kinda old though but I'm pretty sure this book would definitely give you a good start in C and even C++. ;)
  7. Born Looser

Talking TRY K&R or Get a systeme with Linux

TRY K&R or Get a systeme with Linux and use Kdevelop.
    Kumar Chetan Sharma
    -----

_SelfProcclaimedGuru
    Hire a LAMP guy.
    To err is human. To blame your computer for your mistakes is even more human, it is downright natural.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

try Practical C++ Programming by Steve Oualline
    if you really did mean C (which is old school), there is also Practical C Programming but i don't know the author.

both books are O'Reilly books :)
    PHP is fun
  11. No Profile Picture

It may cost a lot but...

It may cost a lot but the Deitel books are the best books money can buy. These books not only walk you step-by-step through learning the code, but they also teach you to perfect it.
    If you want a book that each time you read it you learn more and more, then choose the Deitel series even at $70.
    I used their C++ book in school and now do c++ professionally, I still marvel my co-workers with odd tid-bits of information.

Note: You may be learning C for a particular reason, but I suggest using C++. It is more difficult but it can be faster then C, when using the STL. You also get to use strings, which cut down on memory leaks; you'll be suprised how easy they come.
    A free online resource for C++
    http://www.josuttis.com/libbook/idx.html
    and
    http://www.cppreference.com/
  13. No Profile Picture

I would recommend cross platform C interpreter Ch for your learning. It supports C99, Win32, OpenGL, GTK+.

More at http://www.softintegration.com
  15. /(bb|[^b]{2})/

If you want to learn C then check out "Programming C" (Kernighan and Ritchie).
    If you want to learn C++ then check out "The C++ Programming Language" (Bjarne Stroustrup).
    These are the people who "invented" the languages.

As far as which one to learn, I will have to disagree with some statements here. C may be considered "old school" by some, but it is widely used today and is still considered a viable option. When it comes down to it you need to use the right tool for the job. Sometimes that is C++, sometimes it isn't. If you need to use objects or STLs then C++ is the way to go, otherwise C is a better option. One extra thing about learning C is that you are half way towards learning C++. It isn't quite as easy to go the other way. It is possible, but it will take some time to go from C++ to C if you don't know the basic function calls, i.e. sprintf, malloc, etc.
    I use both languages, but I normally tend to lean towards C for the applications that I write.
  17. No Profile Picture

Re: want to learn C

Originally posted by shubhranshu
    I want to learn C language. can any one help me to master C?
    what books should i refer? :(
    If you want to learn C you are on the right way. I will recomend you Herb Shield's books on C and there are numerous C tutorials on the net. You can get for free "Learn C in 21 days" search it with Google. Don't try to learn C from Windows programming books or tutorials. You must be a proficient C programmer to learn the OS programming.
  19. Contributing User

It depends... Why do you want to learn C? To program games? To make windows programs? To make programs for a TI graphing calculator. Once you've answered that question I can help.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Offensive Member
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

>>It is more difficult but it can be faster then C, when using the STL.

(STL = standard template libraries)

You mean speed of development don't you? Not application speed.

How is STL quicker than using C libraries files? (seeing they mostly define functions from the Standard C libraries)

>>You also get to use strings, which cut down on memory leaks;

How exactly?

How much space are you allocating for your char arrays?

Even if it is all lost it would not be a signifigant amount compared to say a lost bitmap handle.
    The essence of Christianity is told us in the Garden of Eden history. The fruit that was forbidden was on the Tree of Knowledge. The subtext is, All the suffering you have is because you wanted to find out what was going on. You could be in the Garden of Eden if you had just kept your f***ing mouth shut and hadn't asked any questions.

Frank Zappa
  23. No Profile Picture
    status unknown

The original thread is quite old now, but as it's been given a new lease of life it's still it's worth adding for the benefit of new readers that Practical C++ Programming by Steve Oualline is not that good a book. For a 'practical' book it teaches many bad habits, with its use of global variables, excessive commenting, declaration of variables at the start of a function (c-style) rather than just prior to first use, amongst other things. The treatment of 'struct' is almost completely C-like, and it may come as a shock to many readers, having read the section on structs, when they eventually find out that in C++ class and struct are almost the same. There are better books out there on which to spend your money, so I would avoid this one.

One other correction, I think you'll find Dennis Ritchie (in conjunction with Ken Thompson, who wrote B) initially developed the C language between 1969 and 1972. Brian Kernighan co-authored the well known K&R book some years later (first published 1978).
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'll also recommend against dropping the money for the Dietel books. I've taught classes with them. I also recommended that my students who were serious about continuing grab the Stroustrup book. Everyone who read Stroustrup agreed that it was the easier book to understand and learn from.

The Dietel books do get bonus points for having an edition that comes with a compiler, which was a big deal when I last taught with their book. With good free compilers and IDEs out there like Dev-C++, that comes as less of a recommendation.
    Clay Dowling
    Lazarus Notes
    Articles and commentary on web development
    http://www.lazarusid.com/notes/
  27. Contributing User

this is the best book to start with :)

programming in ansi c

the deitel books are junk for a beguinner(bad memories). they are a noodle of going back and forth between pages. i remember i had to use the sucker in my COS-111. what a pain in the ***. but now *after* i read the book mentioned above , the Deitel book looks good and i am re-reading it again. well, i already know most and it doesn't look painful. so i guess it is a percepcion thing. all the lords of C and C++ will swear for the Deitel book. all the newbies will hate the sucker :D

but the Deitel book for Perl is nice.
  29. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA

Re: Re: want to learn C

Originally posted by anatol
    If you want to learn C you are on the right way. I will recomend you Herb Shield's books on C and there are numerous C tutorials on the net.
    Schildt's C book has a slightly bad reputation among experienced C programmers. Google for "Schildt C Review" and you'll see what I mean. As a matter of fact, the man now has his own entry in the Jargon file. See the entry for Bullschildt for more. :)

Also see http://herd.plethora.net/~seebs/c/c_tcr.html and http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/schildt.html for info
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo