1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Learning DirectX 8 with C++

Hello,

I want to learn to program using DirectX 8 and C++, however, I don't want to learn using the classes for quick development, whatever they are called... "Common files"? I hope you know what I"m talking about.

I would like to be able to learn how to program with DirectX straight with the Windows API, then later be able to integrate it with MFC, or what not.

How should I go about learning this?

Thanks,
    Carl
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Are the classes you are talkin about and donīt want to use the "Microsoft Foundation Classes" or the "DirectX 8 SDK" or what?

the windows api has no DirectX functions. They are all in the DirectX api (you should have guessed that already ;) )
  5. No Profile Picture

The classes I am talking about are the ones that come with the Direct X samples (Direct X SDK).

I know that all Direct X is within the Direct X API, and the Windows API is for windows... but you need to use the windows API for some stuff like creating the windows, ect, etc....
  7. No Profile Picture

hi,

you might want to check the book 'Special Effects Programming with DX', which explains the API without using the Common Files Framework...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo