1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Linker errors :/

I'm not sure if this I'm posting this in the right place, but anyway...

I'm trying to learn DirectX, using code out of a "teach yourself DirectX" book, using the DirectX SDK on the CD that comes with the book (version 8. Yes, I know it's out of date, but this way I know that the code in the book is going to get exctly what it's expecting).

Anyway, I can't get one of the examples to compile. Well, technically I can get it to compile but I can't get it to link in the DirectX stuff. I've tried using MSVC++ 5 (the latest version I could get my hands on) and Bloodshed's Dev-C++.

With MSVC++, when I try to build the projet I get the single error message:

c:\DXSDK\lib\d3d8.lib : fatal error LNK1106: invalid file or disk full: cannot seek to 0x3b16034b

which is Greek to me. And with Dev-C++ I get:
    [Linker error] undefined reference to 'Direct3DCreate8@4'

I thought maybe it had something to do with including the DirectX libraries and whatnot in the standard libraries (you know, so the files themselves don't have to be copied and manually included with the project each time) but even copying the files directly and including them didn't work. I can't decipher these error messages; can anyone else? :)

SoulSkorpion

[edit]I would include the code in this post, but there's quite a lot of it and I don't think the problem's in the code. If anyone really wants to see it, I will.[/edit]
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Both messages are produced by the linkers, which indicates that the code is passing the compile stage, but could not be linked to a library correctly. From the first message, it sounds like either the d3d8.lib file might be corrupt or your disk is full. If your disk is not full, then I would check the disk for errors. Also try reinstalling the lib file to another location on the disk. Hope this helps.
  5. No Profile Picture

*sigh* damnit. You'd think the files of the CD would be working... Oh well. I'll DL the latest SDK and see what happens. Thanks :)
  7. No Profile Picture

...downloaded, tested, still not working :(
  9. No Profile Picture

Possible solution?

I was browsing around Google with the same error message that SoulSkorpion recieved, and this forum post was at the top of the hit list...

Anyway, I found another site that said there is a bug in Visual C++ 5.0 that causes a lot of these linker errors unneccessarily... But Microsoft has supposedly released Service Pack to fix the problem... Here's a link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/do.../vs97/full.asp

I'm downloading it now, and hopefully it fixes the problem. Good luck to anyone else out there who gets the same problem...

-----
    Nullzero
  11. No Profile Picture

Completely forgot about this post :)

I ended up downloading the service pack to correct a different problem (I didn't know service packs existed). It seems to have corrected this problem, too.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo