1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Locating Controls Within A Form

Suppose there is a form named fMain. Within fMain you have dynamically created some controls. You determine that you need to check and see at a given time if a specific control exists.

If I hardcode a control name, as shown below, everything works fine. If I attempt to dynamically provide a control name (as from a string), the system bombs. (I have listed a couple of variations of my bombed code for your amusement.) I understand why my examples that do not work. I simply tried them because I am desperate to find something that does work.

For my application, I really need to be able to dynamically select the names of my controls. Hardcoding really will not work for me.

Any ideas?

WORKING CODE

if (this.Controls.Contains(txtMain))
    {
    // .... Do Something
    }

NON-WORKING CODE

string name="";
    name="txtMain";l
    if (this.Controls.Contains(name))
    {// Do Something}

OR

string name="";
    name="txtMain";l
    if (this.Controls.Contains( (TextBox) name))
    {// Do Something}

string name="";
    name="txtMain";l

On a related note, I would like to be able to set an instance of a control equal to one of my dynamically created controls. I can't figure out how to pass the instance name as a string to any method that will retrieve the control

TextBox oTextBox=???? name
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm not sure why you wouldn't just use a reference to the control as opposed to the controls name.

Anyways, every control contains a 'Name' property so why not just loop through all the controls yourself checking the 'Name' property until you find the one you want?
  5. No Profile Picture

It is certainly possible to loop through the names but very inefficient. However, this is the solution that I had come up with and have not found any other. So, for now, I guess this is the way I will go.

Thank you for your help!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo