1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

[C] Lost in Memory Space (possibly malloc)

I have been trying for some time now to convert a C++ program that loads 3DS files to C. I have had partial success. Some models load ok but with annoying regularity some cause an unhandled exception error.

I have tracked the offending line to :
    Code:
    chunk *current_chunk; //In header.  Chunk is just a 16 byte struct.
    printf("Is Malloc the cause:  ");
    current_chunk = (chunk*)malloc(sizeof(chunk));
    printf("NOPE\n");
    After several hundred iterations it fails at the malloc ie prints the first message but not the second. The debug window reports the following:
    HEAP[Neo Blitz.exe]: Heap block at 003C48C0 modified at 003C4A7C past requested size of 1b4
    Unhandled exception at 0x77f767cd in Neo Blitz.exe: User breakpoint.

I did have a check to see what malloc returns but the problem is that it isn't returning all.

I am using VS .Net (vc++ 7)

Any advice would be appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture

Fails after hundreds of times? My first thought was that you ran out of memory. Are you freeing the memory (free())?? Malloc takes memory from the program's heap...which is just a stack structure specifically for the program. You can either increase the heap size...through compiler settings...or check out farmalloc()....and why are you converting from C++ to C? Reinventing the wheel?
  5. No Profile Picture

I cut my code for the post but the original code a test to see if malloc returned NULL (is returned when insufficient memory, according to the specs) so I don't think it was memory, but then again I am still learning the ins and outs of C.

The quick reason for C is that this code was to be transported to an environment that does not support C++ (linux for PS2).

I have found a workaround for the problem -only took about 8 hours : ( - but thanks for the advice.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo