1. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Magical Square Root in the Quake 3 Engine

Hello C Forum!

I recently ran across this article on Carmack's sqrt implementation in Quake 3 that I thought you all (especiall Wei) would enjoy.

Discuss.

-Dan

Comments on this post

• gimp agrees
    • ridv34 agrees : Thanks, awesome piece of code!
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  3. Feelin' Groovy

Interesting stuff! Check the comments, though. Carmack says it's not his implementation.

~
    Yawmark
    class Sig{public static void main(String...args){\u0066or(int
    \u0020$:"v\"ʲ\"vΤ\"".to\u0043h\u0061rArray()
    )System./*goto/*$/%\u0126//^\u002A\u002Fout.print((char)(($>>
    +(~'"'&'#'))+('<'>>('\\'/'.')/\u002Array.const(~1)\*\u002F)));}}
  5. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>

That is pretty awesome. The tiny relative error wouldn't matter at all for graphics rendering, I suppose.

Gonna steal that code...
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents
  7. Sarcky

Right, like it says in the first bit of code, the second iteration is commented out (because one iteration is as good as they needed for 3d code I guess).

I thought the Source engine was impressive when I dove through it, now I'm going to have to look at Q3.

-Dan
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo