1. CEO, but responsible to u
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

A Message from Jim Boykin, New Owner of Developer Shed

Hello Developer Shed Community Members,

My name is Jim Boykin, and I'm the very proud new owner of the Developer Shed network of sites. I am here to serve you, the users, and to work to make each property several times more useful than they are today. It's all about you, the users and the community.

Even though I wasn't elected for this position, I am still asking for your support in taking each site to new levels of usefulness and to grow the communities...they can grow a lot, if together we help to make these great communities. For years I've had this dream....a dream of making these properties wonderful resources for the users of the communities again. Now I have that chance, but I can not succeed without your support and your help, and your patience, and your faith in my intentions for these sites. My intentions are to make the sites way more user friendly, and to build up great communities that everyone can be proud of. My goals also include fixing, replacing, and adding new tools for the sites.

As the owner whom is responsible to these communities, I pledge to work to serve all visitors a better user experience, better information, better tools, and even better communities. I also pledge to listen to the communities, and to respect the views and wishes of each community, and to do what I believe is best for each community based on the wishes of the community, using the resources that I have available.

I understand that without your support, and without your sharing, and without your contributing to the community, that these wonderful websites and communities would die like a ghost town...but I also understand that we can work together towards making these sites and communities a much better place....a place of great value to the users (all of YOU) ...together, I believe we can create a place where everyone can be proud to say they are a member of, and where information can be shared without being bombarded with advertising... for that is the core of what I'm striving towards.

Now that I have been given this chance to lead, you can be assured that I'll work to do what is best for the communities first before I look at what is best for my wallet. If there is to be advertising on the sites, then it has to be relevant, and quality, and of use to the users...and not in their face taking away from the trust and usability of the site. If I give the users quality information, and quality tools, and quality communities....then I truly believe that this acquisition will, over time, give back in business karma. I don't have to spam the users.

We are about to upgrade these communities to a much newer version of vBulletin, and working to restructure the content so that it best serves the user on the website. Once we reach that stage, we can start looking at suggestions from that version. We'll be working on them, the best we can, as fast as we can, but it won't be overnight...if each day we get a little better, we'll be the Best by this time next year.

I would like to thank everyone who has helped to keep these sites wonderful resources throughout the years. I'll do all I can to value and honor all of you for helping to make these sites have quality information updated for so many years.

I'd like to thank the wonderful folks at the Developer Shed office (Jenny, James, Terri, Charles, and Eric). You guys are Awesome! Over the years your team has held together into one tight solid group that is all about doing all you can to make the sites better...even though your hands were tied in so many areas, and the higher up corporate people had goals that didn't mesh with how to best treat the community, you held together, doing all you could for the sites...I know you all deeply care for the properties, and I pledge to you to do all I can to help your team in transforming these communities into a greatness that you've all dreamed for these sites, and now we can start taking steps towards this greatness together.

I'd like to thank all the Admins and the Moderators of each community as well. Without your direction, and editing, there would be anarchy. I thank you for taking on these responsibilities, and for helping to keep the communities places where knowledge can be shared in an organized way. I understand that you're not getting paid, and you're only going to do these tasks if you want to...and I'll do all I can to continue to have you want to help make these great communities even better with your help...my goal will be to make you prouder than ever to say that you're an admin or moderator of your community.

I would also like to thank all the Millions of registered users who have contributed millions of threads and tens of millions of comments over the years. I will do the best I can to serve you and each of these communities. I will strive to keep as many of you happy as I can from today onward. You are the Community and I am here to answer to you. I know that many of you have seen changes over the years....some changes that were not so good...but know that I'm working hard to "Give these sites back to You...the users, and to the community as a whole."

I'm Feeling Lucky,
    Jim Boykin
    CEO and Founder of Internet Marketing Ninjas And Owner (Responsible to the Community) of Developer Shed
    Twitter
    Blog
    Facebook

Comments on this post

• SimonB2 disagrees : Not a good start to your membership!
    • bharatsha7 agrees
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What makes a community good is the content and the minds that gather there. This is not something you can improve by changing the paint or swapping the drapes, as it were.

You lost me with the presumptuous statement "to make each property several times more useful than they are today". It's an unfortunate choice of words however one looks at it. Either (a) in your estimation the previous person in your position was doing a 'less than efficient job' or (b) you're so special that you can do magnitudes-of-order more work to further the interests of the site and it's members.

So, add this long waffle above to the fact you saw fit to move the stickies in the forum, lest your *important* message be lost amongst the posts that are relevant and important to the forum.

Please, don't continue to diminsh the value of the forums by posting long off-topic threads like this in the programming forums. Please don't move content further away from the place in which it is required.

It was already hard enough getting new users to read the stickies
    "How to Post a Question"
    &
    "Commonly Asked C/C++ questions"

Now you've gone and thrown them into a folder, replaced with this excuse for a thread. You've got that totally a$$ about. Put this monstrosity into it's own folder, put the stickies back where they belong. -
    Unless of course, you think that your proclamation of love is more important and relevant than directions & guidelines would be to a new member.

I won't bother down-voting the post, but it does deserve it.

Edit:
    AND you've lost years worth of content from Scorpy's C/C++ Puzzle of the week. :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Downvote incoming!
    Last edited by SimonB2; June 5th, 2012 at 03:25 AM.
  5. Editor-in-Beef

Hey Simon,

Sorry about the confusion on this - I'm actually the one who is moving the stickies around. We discussed it with moderators and in the suggestions forum as an idea to try to de-clutter the space a little and to have a space to redirect users to. It was felt that stickies were actually getting lost by being stuck up at the top and people were skipping right past them, so I set up a sub-forum for them to be viewed. I started this prior to Jim's announcement and it actually has nothing to do with that at all.

We are still working around the logistics of it in fact. Once all of the sub-forums are set up, the mods are going to help me go through and figure out what should stay in the forum and what should go into the Sub-forum.

The purpose behind the announcement, to my knowledge, is to let users know that the company has been purchased and someone who really does care about the community has come onboard. As an employee here for the past six years, I can attest to the fact that money was a primary factor in the previous owners' eyes. After speaking with Jim and his crew, I believe this is definitely not the case. You may have noticed that a bunch of ads have gone away in fact.

All in all, we're just trying to make the place better than it was, give you guys more resources, and clean up the place a little bit.

If you ever feel a concern about how things are going, please don't hesitate to drop us a note in the suggestions and feedback forum, or shoot me an e-mail personally at james@developershed.com.

Sorry again for the misunderstanding on this - I really do have the best of intentions in mind!
  7. CEO, but responsible to u

I just asked James to publish them in each forum for me at 9:30 am when we released the PR....James may have gone a bit too far in posting it around I agree..but intentions wasn't to spam the forums...I am really trying to do things respectfully.
    I could have tried to squeeze every dime I could from these properties....but I'm not..in fact, I'm removing tons of advertising space...I'm trying to make things better...honestly....sorry your first impression wasn't the best, I understand, and I never plan on having a big mass announcement like this again..that I know of :)
  9. Hats off to Mr. Joseph donahue
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Your first impression is not too bad either.. Simon's footnote about Scorpy's puzzles made me mad too, but I found them with the faqs *some faith restored*.
    I agree with Simon, at least the "New users - How to post" thread should be on the main page.
    As for the advertisements, you guys have already lost some of the better contributors of this forum due to these annoying ads. Better late than never I guess.

Best of luck.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

First of all, I'd like to thank both James and Jim for their responses. Especially in light of my rather hostile post.

Hadn't noticed the adds were gone, guess we get used to scrolling past the noise at the top of pages since we do it so often these days.

Indeed, maintaining saleable content is often the opposite side of the coin to maintaining content users want to consume. As Raj said, a number of the sharper minds have decided their efforts are best directed elsewhere.

One of the things I'l admit to have been ticked-off by was my inability to find a thread similar to this one at other DevShed forums I checked. It seemed as though we were selected - in much the same way a voice tells one over the phone that one has been 'selected' to win a free holiday. Such selection rarely leaves one feeling good.

Also, Raj - did you actually have a look at the puzzles thread of Scorpy's? If you have a lose look at the date, you can see that as I said - YEARS of content has been lost. That thread had been posted in this year. It now reports that just 7 replies are contained within it, the last being made June 5th, 2008. If you have a look at the title of the thread, you can see that the thread title contains the text "[UPDATED - Dec 8th 2009]", yet as mentioned, the last post is from June 5th 2008.

That's right - there's no content in that thread from the past 4 years.

Edit: How is it that one(jimsthoughts) can receive -ive rep from 1 person, and yet without the +ive input of another their rep changes from being negative to positive? Do I smell the odour of books being cooked?

Comments on this post

• RAJ_55555 agrees : Jims playing god mode.. lols..
    Last edited by SimonB2; June 6th, 2012 at 06:07 AM.
  13. Editor-in-Beef

Thanks for the suggestion on moving the commonly asked C questions sticky back into the thread - I thought that was a smart idea and moved it back over.

Regarding the contest/puzzle sticky, I looked into it, and the last thread I see on it is from 2009...I'm not super familiar with the thread to be honest, but if you look at the first post, you will see that someone gathered a bunch of the puzzles and linked out to other posts in the forums...for instance, here is the 2009 one I found:

http://forums.devshed.com/c-programming-42/c-puzzle-of-the-week-month-year-2009-12-08t-659719.html

Hope that makes sense. Also, just a heads up, part of the plan here is to bring back contests and puzzles across the network - we think they are a great way to interact and test developer skills/grow them.

Thanks again for the feedback!
  15. Hats off to Mr. Joseph donahue
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

@jamespayne That's a nice idea, but who will come up with the puzzles? U guys, Mods or members? Tracking down some of the old timers and inviting them back wont be a bad idea..

@Simon Yeah! I did look into the thread. Scorpy hasn't added any new puzzle since the binary search (which was also solved by Jwd). He used to edit his post and provide the link to the new puzzle residing at a different web page. It still is among the most informative pages of the forum..
  17. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Originally Posted by SimonB2
    Also, Raj - did you actually have a look at the puzzles thread of Scorpy's? If you have a lose look at the date, you can see that as I said - YEARS of content has been lost. That thread had been posted in this year. It now reports that just 7 replies are contained within it, the last being made June 5th, 2008. If you have a look at the title of the thread, you can see that the thread title contains the text "[UPDATED - Dec 8th 2009]", yet as mentioned, the last post is from June 5th 2008.

That's right - there's no content in that thread from the past 4 years.
    To answer that question, I edit the first post of that thread to point to the latest puzzle and I change the thread subject to the date of the latest puzzle as well. There *WERE* replies past Dec 2009 as well (last one was in Jan 2012) which I deleted because they were clearly "me too" type posts by SEO spammers. You can't see those deleted replies in the thread unless you're a mod though.

Which reminds me, I gotta come up with a new puzzle one of these days. I didn't realize that the thread was actually popular among the faithful visitors of this forum :). Thank you for your vote of confidence -- it sure does mean a lot to me.

Comments on this post

• Lux Perpetua agrees : You had to know we liked your puzzles, though, and I know I've expressed it in the past.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by jimsthoughts
    I understand that without your support, and without your sharing, and without your contributing to the community, that these wonderful websites and communities would die like a ghost town...but I also understand that we can work together towards making these sites and communities a much better place....a place of great value to the users (all of YOU) ...together, I believe we can create a place where everyone can be proud to say they are a member of, and where information can be shared without being bombarded with advertising... for that is the core of what I'm striving towards.
    Thank you. I know I don't speak only for myself when I say that this is appreciated. I was a fairly active member from February 2004 until September 2010, at which point the advertising became so intrusive that I stopped visiting the site almost entirely. Between then and now, I checked in occasionally to see if the situation had changed, and this time, it looks like it has!

Comments on this post

• jimsthoughts agrees : Thanks! I agreed, that's why I bought them...to clean up the crap and give the communities back to the users.
  21. Editor-in-Beef

Now that the news has spread, I am closing this thread and opening a new one located here:

http://forums.devshed.com/suggestions-feedback-121/looking-for-feedback-suggestions-911577.html

Please drop by and leave any feedback/suggestions you have regarding the site and any changes you would like to see. We want to mold the community to reflect the wants and needs of you guys, the users, but can't do it without your input, so please drop by and let us know your thoughts!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo