1. not a fan of fascism (n00b)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

working with music files

how does one create programs that encode/decode various audio formats, create filters for music, reduce the size of, blablabla, etc....? i cant seem to find a good google term to learn more about this.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Google for "ACM" - the Audio Compression Manager.

Itīs quite easy to implement. I have a project where I did that, I can search my backups if you didnīt find anything till tonight (unlikely ;) )

Can you translate Delphi code to C? http://delphi.about.com/library/bluc/text/uc050501a.htm
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Do you think ACM would work for writing a MIDI composing program? Because when I finish learning the basics of the Win32 API and done doing a bunch of little progs, I want this to be my first big project.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

The ACM manages codecs for .wav files (yes, mp3 too...).

But Midi is different from all other audio formats on your PC. It consists of real notes and tracks, not of a pre-mixed, pre-recorded stream. The playback sounds different on different sound cards or external hardware too.
    For midi->wav, you would have to playback the midifiles and record the output (I guess the drivers can handle this internally). But the other way, back to midi, is not possible.

Youīll probably want to implement ACM functionality in your program to take advantage of system codecs (that could be hardware accelerated too) when exporting your projects to wav .

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo