Thread: Newbie here

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Newbie here

Hello Everyone,

I am a newbie here. I learned C and C++ programming from a local institute. After learning for 4 years, I am in a spot of bother. Because of lack of jobs, I am unable to find one. But I need to survive by working part time or freelancing using my skills and gain some experience.

Can anyone please help me on how to go about and do some freelancing and earn.

I do have programming skills but don't know how to about a project. I had been to freelancer dot com and found jobs for the C and C++ skills but I do understand , how to implement those. Please help.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Have you checked out oDesk? Be advised that they will do a background check and independently verify your skill set and skill level.
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Dear Bob:

I haven't been paid for anything I've done in a year. (Other than a few free lunches for music performance.) I tried oDesk.com and am now getting job offers! Thank you much much.

Most of the freelancer bids tend to be form sentences that say "I'm an IT professional experienced in java and (whatever). Please choose me!" My project bids are specific and relevant. Having 2000 posts at devshed also helps. Reading and responding in these forums broadened my experience and knowledge.

Thank you,
    Dave.

PS. I tried freelancer.com and oDesk. oDesk seems far better of the two.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Online consulting websites are a good way to start your independent IT contractor career. But let me point out this caveat.

You may also want to consider "networking" in addition to online consulting to further enhance your career. Networking is essentially meeting individuals who may have some control over the IT development decision making process. For example, I make it a point of attending functions such as monthly computer club meetings, small business "meet and greet" brunches and other corporate events to meet anyone remotely connected with IT development within their respective organizations. If the event is open to the public, I'm there. The idea is to tactfully and diplomatically "sell" your self to the decision makers. It'll pay off in the long term.

There are three key words in establishing a IT career. Marketing, marketing and marketing. Once you've established a good reputation, marketing will almost become a non issue.

You may be the world's greatest programmer. But if nobody knows you exist... Well, you get the picture.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo