Thread: OpenGL issues

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

OpenGL issues

I am really getting :mad: on this...

I am doing some fun with opengl. At least trying to. My problem is:
    - when i only translate the MODELVIEW matrix, the lights keep static and the room is lit depending on where i am standing. like as if i was carrying a flashlight with me.
    - when i translate the PROJECTION matrix instead, the whole output starts shearing and some polygons are clipped unnecessarily.
    - when i mix both, i get the same result as with only using PROJECTION matrix.

Ive read quite many tutorials and books, but could not find a clue what causes this behaviour... :confused:

Anyone here got some experience with OpenGL and lighting? My renderer looks like this:
    Code:
    glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);
    glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
    glLoadIdentity();
    glRotatef(Tilt, 1, 0, 0);
    glRotatef(Heading, 0, 1, 0);
    glTranslatef(myPosition.X, myPosition.Y, myPosition.Z);

for (....) {
      ... call all renderlists... 
    }
    The lights are setup only once in my Init() function. I tried to re-setup them in the rendering function, but this would require me to do the vector math to find their position depending on heading,tilt and my position. I doubt this is necessary for OpenGL lighting. Everything else was so easy up to now :(

Any ideas?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Lightbulb Got it solved.

The concepts of OpenGL are just as whacked as the rest of the programming world :rolleyes:

I actually do have to move the lights against the direction that my camera is moving. No idea why they dont correspond to polygons in that way as i have to redraw polygons in each frame, but lights not ...

Sadly, my framerate dropped from constant 400-410/sec to varying between 160 and 360.
    Ok, im out optimizing this now :D
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

OpenSceneGraph

Hi!

If you are in to OpenGL a lot you sholud try the OpenSceneGraph project @ www.openscenegraph.org
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Gladly I got the lights issues solved. The drop in framerate was due to a part of the code where was so frustrated that i did reset the lights on each frame and re-setup them then. Seems like the initialization of the lights takes some time. A varying time on my radeon... :confused:

Only had a short glance at the page:
    "DirectX .x model loader" - exactly what i need for my next step :D
    Are you also using OpenGL?

Thanks for the link.
    M.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo