1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What is c programming

Hi,
    I'm new to c programming, I wanted to ask what is c programming for what do we use it, what software should I downland to use c language. what is PIC24. what are some of the basic knowledge I need before learning c programming
    thank you :)
  3. Contributing User

C as a programming language.

C programming is programming using C.

C is a systems level compiled language. It compiles to native machine code. It is almost ubiquitous in that a C compiler is available for almost every processor architecture available. C has minimal run-time support requirements, so is suited to bare-metal (no OS) development and as a language for OS development itself.

It was originally developed as a systems language (Linux for example is largely written in C) but is also used for applications development, though in that it is perhaps becoming less popular in favour of C++ and other object oriented languages.

C remains widely used in embedded systems where it still dominates, especially in the 8 and 16-bit architectures.

PIC24 is a 16 bit microcontroller (a microprocessor with on-chip memory and peripherals). It is manufactured by Microchip. PIC devices share some common architectural features but are not binary compatible across the range. Personally I find them quirky and a bit of a pain to code for, though PIC24 is better than its predecessors. You'd do far better to use an ARM Cortex-M based device that may cost no more, but will probably be faster, and have more memory as well as being better supported by development tools and boards.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo