1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Programming method (what do you think?)

Hi. New to the forums.
    I've just been juggling language ideas and saw this forum so i thought i should post. Sorry if this is the wrong place.
    Say you wanted to create a calculator program and then you start your ide which presents an empty form with absolutely nothing on it. You then divide the form into different parts and then specify the names and functions of each of those parts.
    Code:
    Name: close button 
    Function: end
    background_color: red

Name: textbox
    function: 
    {
    display
    read_in
    }

access:
    {
    add_button
    operator (+, -, /, *)
    }

name: add_button
    function: add{
    int, double, float}
    operator: +

name: subtract_button
    function: subtract {
    int, double, float}
    operator: -

name: multiply_button
    function: multiply {
    int, double, float}

name: divide_button
    function: multiply{
    int, float, double}
    operator: *
    Say that's the source code for a calculator (not all of it) with a gui created in a software like Qt, is it too verbose?
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

"ide" sounds heavy-handed for a calculator program.

With addition being the only supported operation, ", -, *, /" is too verbose.

And since your post is somewhat incomprehensible for my knowledge and this c forum then the verbosity of the entire post is wrong. Posted in wrong place---overly verbose. Insufficient explanation---insufficiently verbose.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Zzle
    Say you wanted to create a calculator program and then you start your ide which presents an empty form with absolutely nothing on it. You then divide the form into different parts and then specify the names and functions of each of those parts.
    This seems like a

graphical_user_interface_builder_wiki.htm

The first GUI builder I recall was Prototyper for the Macintosh, released back in 1987.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by rcgldr
    This seems like a graphical_user_interface_builder_wiki.htm.

The first GUI builder I recall was Prototyper for the Macintosh, released back in 1987.
    i actually forgot what gui was because i've been programming in the console. That's why i was wondering if the language design was verbose.

After checking for the Qt equivalent, i think the code is ok (needs improvement).
  9. No Profile Picture

The old Borland developement tools use a console / text base / windowed user interface, but I don't know if anyone made a user interface builder for it.
  11. Contributing User
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The old Borland developement tools use a console / text base / windowed user interface, but I don't know if anyone made a user interface builder for it.
    Do you mean Turbo Vision?
  13. No Profile Picture

what will be borland's purpose? Isn't it a million years old?
    If you are trying to give me an example of gui designer, there's Qt.
  15. No Profile Picture

... I've been programming in the console ...
    what will be borland's purpose? Isn't it a million years old?
    Yes, but you previously mentioned "programming in the console", so I was thinking you wanted a TUI (text user interface) instead of a GUI (graphical user interface).
  17. No Profile Picture

Yes, but you previously mentioned "programming in the console", so I was thinking you wanted a TUI (text user interface) instead of a GUI (graphical user interface).
    i certainly don't want a text user interface. I meant i've been learning c++ using the console and while i prefer gui's, i thought i should just follow that path.
    One question, do people use programs without gui's? Could you show me an example? I've been checking google too.
  19. No Profile Picture

i certainly don't want a text user interface. I meant i've been learning c++ using the console and while i prefer gui's, i thought i should just follow that path since all beginner tutorials start like that.
    One question, do people use programs without gui's? Could you show me an example? I've been checking google too.
  21. No Profile Picture

one question, do people use programs without gui's?
    The compiler, assembler, and linker that you're using don't have GUI's, they are command line programs. The GUI based integrated development interface is normally used to do builds, but you can also create a makefile or manually run these programs from a dos console window if the environment variables such as "path" and "include" are setup. Visual Studio has a tools / dos console window that sets up this environment, so then you can just use "ml" to assemble, "cl" to compile c or c++ code, and "link" to link the object files.

I've written quite a few non-gui programs, mostly to test algorithms like sorting and utilities like a folder + file copy program that I use to backup partitions.
  23. No Profile Picture

The compiler, assembler, and linker that you're using don't have GUI's, they are command line programs. The GUI based integrated development interface is normally used to do builds, but you can also create a makefile or manually run these programs from a dos console window if the environment variables such as "path" and "include" are setup. Visual Studio has a tools / dos console window that sets up this environment, so then you can just use "ml" to assemble, "cl" to compile c or c++ code, and "link" to link the object files.

I've written quite a few non-gui programs, mostly to test algorithms like sorting and utilities like a folder + file copy program that I use to backup partitions.
    i'm using visual studio :-/
  25. No Profile Picture

Then why don't you use the built in GUI designer?

At the moment it's a bit like you have heard about a wheel and you are trying to come up with a general case system for wheel generation just in case someone wants a wheel that is triangular.

GUI's have been around for a long time, ever since Xerox first invented the mouse. The GUI design systems in existence now are the way they are for a reason, they work :) .

Writing your own as an exercise is a worthy effort, you can learn a lot, but it's unlikely whatever you create will have any value to anyone else.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo